eleven.

SERENITY

I was on time with Noah's coffee again today and feeling very proud of myself. I carefully walked the burning cup to his office and paused when I heard loud yelling coming from inside. I couldn't make out what was being said but I assumed it was a family argument considering what he told me on Sunday. I questioned whether I should've just went in and given him his coffee like usual. He would be angry if it was cold and could definitely tell if it had been reheated. But then I thought that he might be angry if I interrupted and scolded me in front of his family. "Fuck it," I thought. I was damned if I did and damned if I didn't.

I walked inside with my head held high, attempting to ignore the angry glares. "Good morning, Mr. Harrington. Your coffee sir." I went to hand him his cup but his mother extended a hand blocking my way. "Do you not have any manners young lady? We're clearly having a family discussion and you rudely interrupted." Her forehead wrinkles creased as she continued to spit useless venom at me. She screamed of prestige but the mouth on her was classless.

I parted my mouth to speak but Noah calmly shook his head towards me. I bit the inside of my cheek hoping he'd put her in her place because I'd gladly lose my job to do so. "Please don't ever speak to one of my employees like that again mother. Her routine remains whether you're here or not and I don't like my coffee cold."

I smiled and handed him his drink taking a mental picture of the look on his mother's face, it was priceless. "Ms. Taylor this is my sister Beverly, please keep her company until the workday is over." Noah excused both of us and went back to arguing with his parents, quietly this time.

"You saved me from that, thank you," she laughed. She plopped down on a chair in my office and sighed, "they always argue like that when I come home." I looked at the young woman comparing her appearance to Noah's. They looked the same but were completely different. Beverly had short black hair that framed her face quite well. She had green eyes and rosy cheeks that gave her a youthful glow. She had a few minimalist tattoos scattered on both of her arms and her style was bohemian which also fit her nicely.

"Mr. Harrington told me they were coming for moral support." She snorted, "that is their version of moral support."

She explained that she never went to college, it just wasn't her thing. When she turned twenty-one she started a travel blog that was doing very well. She's been to ten different countries so far and she planned to leave for her next one in two weeks. She had been traveling for a year and spent her twenty-second birthday overseas. Her parents were furious because they wanted her home for her birthday but she wasn't concerned, I aspired to be her. She stayed at her brother's house when she wanted a break from the traveling because he always supported what she wanted to do with her life. If she was successful and enjoying what she was did he didn't care what it was.

"My parents aren't evil enough to cut me off but I use my own money I've saved up to travel usually. Don't want them to throw it in my face later you know?" I may have only known her for a few minutes but I was proud of Beverly. Amongst overbearing parents, she still had the courage to do what she wanted with her life and she chased her passions. She reminded me a lot of myself and I think that was why I took such a liking to her early on.

"Good for you, if it makes you happy don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want. I have to get started on some work so just hang out for a while until I'm finished." She nodded her head and made herself comfortable on my couch, pulling out her laptop to do some work herself.  I was sorting through the remaining wine vendors when Andrew barged into my office complaining about the board being here.