forty.

S E R E N I T Y

Life had just been so terribly unfair to me recently. Like it was throwing in all of its cards and forcing me to fend for myself. I deserved it. As much as I'd love to call it an unjust punishment, I had it coming. However the universe wanted to deal with me I would take it. But boy did I really want to be saved today.

"Hello? What is wrong with the two of you."

I wasn't interested in talking to him so it was all up to Andrew. He glanced at me for approval but I only shrugged. If he wanted to dig himself a grave over something so incredibly minuscule that was his prerogative.

"Noah there is something I have to confess," he started.

Noah raised a brow in anticipation, "what is it?"

Here it goes, the end of, "I—I went over that contract you sent me and I agree, they're asking for way too much. Maybe we can discuss it over lunch on Wednesday?"

"Yes, thank you, Andrew. I'll give them a call when I'm finished, do you mind giving Serenity and me the room?"

Andrew gave me a knowing smile and left quietly. Why did it make me feel even worse that he'd actually kept his mouth shut?

Are you going to say something?" I finally spoke.

"I've been trying to get in touch with you for days. Why haven't you been answering my calls?"

For obvious reasons you ignorant piece of— "I just needed some time to myself."

"Mhmm," he hummed. He finally took a step closer but I took one back. We continued the motion until I hit my desk and he was just inches away from me. "Why are you doing this?" He asked.

"I'm not doing anything."

"It's not what you think. About Sunny, that is. If I could tell you more believe me I would, this isn't that Serenity. I haven't given you any reason not to trust me yet, please just take my word on this."

He was pleading with me, something I'd never seen him do. With reluctance, I agreed to drop it but only because he hadn't given me a reason not to trust him before. He was always very blunt, lying was never something that interested him. That fact alone made me wonder...

"There's something else I'd like to discuss with you but not here, can you come over tonight?"

He smiled. It was a dreamy smile. If I didn't have any self-control I would've agreed but I still wasn't satisfied. I meant everything else I said to him that night in Aspen. I wanted more, and if he wasn't going to give that to me we had to end this. Maybe I'd quit, that would've solved most of our problems but it wasn't a logical solution. Me quitting my position at Ivy was taking the easy way out. I was willing to make sacrifices for what I wanted but I wouldn't be the only one. If Noah couldn't do the same what was the point?

I didn't want him to throw away everything he'd ever worked for. I wasn't asking him to step down. I wanted him to be honest not with me but with himself. If he couldn't do that, then he couldn't have me.

"No, I meant what I said, Noah. This is not continuing until you give me a solid answer on what this is. Things get complicated after this but it doesn't have to if there isn't anything there. We can end this. If it's better for the both of us I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is being used, Noah."

He smiled slightly and backed away finally allowing me to breathe a little better. It was a small feat but I was proud of myself for being willing to end things when they no longer suited me.