Forty-four.

S E R E N I T Y

Tom was late, I didn't expect that from a man like him. I was actually very hungry and just seconds away from ordering when he strolled through the double glass doors. Noah usually gave me a longer lunch break than he should've but that didn't mean I wanted to start taking advantage of it by being hours late. Whatever Tom had to say better had been good.

"I'm sorry, the traffic is so heavy. I should've left my office a bit earlier," He shook some snow off of his coat and took a seat. He looked tired, aged. I guess this life did that to you. Made even the most handsome men look like they'd been through a war.

"What do you do?" I asked, my nail tapping on my glass of water.

"Tech company, computer nerd shit," he shrugged and waved a waitress over. I was hoping he wasn't the type to try and order for me. I didn't like men who took guesses at what women ate. Or tried to micromanage their weight.

"What would you like Serenity?" Very good, "I'll just have a Southwest salad thank you."

The waitress smiled and hurried off to the back to put in both of our orders. Tom didn't waste any time getting straight to the point, I liked that. There was no need for small talk when you were doing business. Yes, I considered this a business lunch because what he wanted wasn't pleasure or to get to know me.

"I assume you know the reason for the board?" His hands were folded on the table big and a little hairy. It was only the knuckles but my God did this man need to think about shaving them. And maybe a manicure.

"I do, Noah told me not too long ago."

"I thought it would be beneficial for him as such a young man to have a group of advisors. What I hadn't expected from him was to sign that contract. He's always been a bit cruel to himself."

"Yeah, I've noticed." I was under the impression that the contract was a mutual idea but now I was beginning to wonder whether Noah suggested it himself.

"Many of the rules on there are beyond traditional, maybe even a little sexist. Like the no office fraternizing rule. Quite honestly none of us care who hooks up with who as long as it doesn't interrupt work performance."

"So why have it then?"

He smirked and slumped in his seat. Our food was now at the table and I guess he needed a break because he took a few bites of his wrap before continuing.

"Summers is a traditional man, maybe even a little sexist. He pushed for it. He's pushed for a lot of things and the truth is I'm not sure I trust him anymore."

That was comforting, I thought I was the only one who got creep vibes from him. "Why don't you trust him?"

He patted his mouth down and took a sip of his Coke. I'd taken a couple of bites out of my salad but I was too interested in the conversation to remember I had been to the point of starvation.

"He's always had an interest in Noah. After you came along it presents itself as more of an obsession. The truth is, I think he's trying to sabotage Noah. I don't have any concrete evidence, it's just a gut feeling."

"Why are you telling me?"

He leaned in and cleared his throat, "because I don't think you trust him either." He'd be right, I didn't. But just like him, I had no evidence to back my suspicions.

"So what are you suggesting?" I asked.

"I'll continue to keep my eye on Summers, and I'll keep you in the loop. Like a team, if you will."