twenty.

S E R E N I T Y

The calm before the storm was my most favorite part about the rain. Those few minutes where the sky was nearly black, and the clouds were vast and gray. The trees would sway back and forth from the violent winds that thrashed them around, leaves getting shook from their homes. And then there'd be that strike of lightning that illuminated the entire sky with its presence. The clap of thunder wouldn't be too far behind. The thunder that shook the ground and commanded the rain to start falling from the sky. The rain that slammed against your windows and seeped through leaking ceilings. That brief moment of calm before the sky tore open was beautiful, but it was also the bringer of doom.

Noah and I had a calm before our storm. It was quiet, taking both of us by surprise. But when it came, it wrecked the both of us completely.

                                           ...

I prepared to drive home from Lynnwood at about five in the morning the next day. Noah was the only one awake, preparing breakfast for the rest of the late risers. "It smells amazing in here," I peeked over his shoulder and watched as he perfectly folded an omelet.

"I put a plate aside for you, that is if you have time to eat." Noah pointed his spatula to a plate covered with saran wrap. He was relaxed today, he'd dressed very relaxed that weekend. Sweats and lose fitted t-shirts seemed to be the only thing he brought with him, and those glasses. God, I loved those glasses.

I hopped up on the countertop and unwrapped my plate, immediately picking up a strip of bacon.

"How are you feeling this morning?" He smiled and slid an extra pancake onto my plate.

"I'll survive, how long have you been cooking?" I could still feel the remnants of Noah's hands on my body and was delighted to find the faint mark of his handprint on my left cheek.

"I started cooking at around five."

That was a start.

"Little Noah trying to see over the stove to cook? Very cute." I teased while chewing on the end of my fork.

Noah turned off the burner and walked over to me, removing the plate from my lap. He sighed and lifted my chin with a finger, his warm honey eyes burning into mine. I couldn't help but fixate on his arm. The arm that held that mysterious tattoo. The blood-red roses and baby angel were the first things my eyes focused on. I had almost made out the quote until a thumb over my lip broke my concentration.

"What are you looking at?" he asked warmly. I ran a few fingers across the ink and smiled, "too personal?" Noah glanced at his arm and removed my hand, leaving a kiss on my knuckles as a distraction.

"Too personal."

...

I was able to take a two-hour nap before I had to get ready for work. I was achy, tired, and hopelessly wanted to call out but I had to be present for one of Mr. Harrington's meetings. He was looking into more eco-friendly businesses to invest in and one of them had recently caught his interest. Amelia Compton, the sole owner of Compton Airlines. The company ran in the family, after her father stepped down she assumed the role of CEO and made them millions. She had managed to turn the computer completely green within five years of her assuming her new position.

Back at the office, Noah was back to his regular fashion. Black suits with blue ties and Armani dress shoes. He looked good, painfully good but nothing beat him dressed down. "Ms. Taylor, is everything set for Ms. Compton's arrival?" Noah tapped his pen against his Sandalwood desk and watched me casually walk to his desk.