fifteen.

S E R E N I T Y

Andrew said he could tell I was hiding something by the way I avoided eye contact with him the next morning. He followed me all the way to my office, locking us inside to avoid being interrupted. He was so nosy I hated that out of all of my stellar qualities, that was the one that rubbed off on him. "I'm not sure what you want from me Mr. Young," I sighed while looking over my duties for the day. He turned off my monitor and pointed to the extra coffee cup sitting on my desk.

"Forget something?"

"Fuck me." I grabbed the cup and hurried to Noah's office, knowing he was going to be displeased with me. "Baby, when did you start keeping secrets from me?" Andrew placed a hand over his heart in an attempt to guilt-trip me. "Baby? I'm sure Katrina would love to hear that one." I smiled and left a dumbfounded Andrew in my office. He had recently started seeing another woman, she was two years younger than him and a certified massage therapist. They had been on a few consistent dates and Drew rarely complained about her. Though I was sure it was the free massages that ended in oily sex that kept him quiet.

"Mr. Harrington, may I come in?" I called calmly from behind the door. To my surprise, he opened it and pulled me inside nearly making me spill the drink on the floor. "Sorry, Drew distracted me this morning." I placed the cold cup on his desk and waited to be scolded. "I don't care about the coffee Serenity, at least not today."

"Are you feeling well this morning?" I placed the back of my hand on his forehead to check his temperature making him chuckle. "I'm fine, how are you?" He looked fine. Suit free of any wrinkles, hair slicked back nicely, facial hair prim and proper. I tilted my head and squinted my eyes at him before replying, "I'm okay, thanks."

"I'd like to discuss last night with you if that's okay?" I had prepared for this moment with Vanessa the night before and made my peace with it. Though that kiss left me wanting more, if it was a mistake for him I wouldn't argue. "How's Alex?" He questioned with a slight smile on his lips.

"He's fine, we've decided to remain friends."

"Because of me?"

"How presumptuous."

He laughed, "that was a serious question Serenity." And that was a serious answer. "Partially, why do you ask?"

"Curiosity," he shrugged. "That's all?" He had taken a seat and began filling out paperwork. "What else is there to discuss?" I dug my nails into the palm of my hands as an attempt to self-soothe. This man was infuriating, doing anything to get under my skin. I debated on leaving, just forgetting the whole thing and forgetting him but my pride wouldn't let me do that.

"What about what you said to me last night? Was all of that really just because you hated the idea of me being with Alex?"

He dropped his pen and glared at me, "your eyes were on me the entire night I think you hated the idea of being with Alex."

"You know if you regret it you could just say that. I'm a big girl Noah I'm not going to go home and cry about it." I may have whined for a week and drowned my sorrows in wine, but there would be absolutely no crying. "I don't regret it Serenity but I don't think it's something we should continue, it's not worth the risk." At that moment rain began pelting the glass windows and thunder shook the room. The dreary weather set a serious tone as if the scene wasn't already dramatic enough. Noah took one look outside and moved from the window, closing a few blinds before he approached me.