ten.

SERENITY

The night was restless. I tossed and turned, occasionally slamming my head against my satin pillow in agony. "Alex? You mean Mr. Archibald?" The statement replayed like a broken record, filling me with anger each time it did. Who was he to tell me how I should address other people and why did he care? Some days it seemed like he felt his authority over me carried on outside of work. He thrived on that control over people, it was hard for him to let go of it.

I constantly battled with the part of me who submitted to him at work and the other part that wanted to tell him off. I hated being told what to do, why did I let him bulldoze me outside of work? That was the thing about Noah Harrington, he committed to his role. He was hard to say no to and even harder to disobey. Bred for business, and chaos.

Begrudged, I left the comfort of my bed and took a quick shower, mumbling to myself in the process. I let the water pelt my face, soaking in the warm sensation. The showerhead had ten different settings, putting the one I had at home to shame. I called my father immediately after getting out of the tub to replace mine at home to which he agreed, he could never say no to me. Usually.

With slightly damp feet and dripping hair, I tiptoed into my room, scanning over some outfits. I wanted to wear something comfortable and casual today, though a pair of heels wasn't everyone's idea of comfort. I loved my heels, they almost made up my entire shoe collection. Standing at five foot seven and wearing heels on top of that was intimidating to some, but I loved it. Whoever didn't could kindly go fuck themselves.

Satisfied with my look I left my room in high spirits, rolling my eyes once I saw the devil himself leaving his own. I kept walking, trying to pretend as if I didn't see him but his persistence wouldn't let me. He took long strides, catching up to me in no time."Damn his long legs," I whispered to myself. I heard him firmly call out my name to get my attention. Without stopping I asked him what he needed, and heard him scoff in response. He said my name once again, but this time with more diction, "Serenity."

I turned to face him, arms crossed and defenses armed.

"I want to apologize for my behavior last night. I've been feeling beside myself and it wasn't fair of me to take that out on you."

Unable to hold a grudge I smiled and leaned on one foot before responding. "I get it, I'm mixing business with pleasure and it makes you uncomfortable. I can't control who I get close to, but you have my word I'd never interfere with your business Noah. I can call you Noah?" Judgeful eyes casted shame down on me for how quickly I folded. I couldn't help it! If you saw his face you'd forgive him just as quickly. That was the thing about faces like his, they made you want to please them.

No matter the cost.

He laughed and nodded his head, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Yes, Noah is fine. And I trust that, just be careful please." He almost sounded concerned. I knew the only reason he took an interest in my personal life was that it was getting too close to his business. Emotions had no place in this world, they'd eat you alive if you were weak enough to let them sway you.

"I will." I began walking away again thinking the conversation was over until "are you hungry? I was just about to get breakfast, I can treat you if you'd like?"

The quickest way into my heart was through my stomach, "lead the way," I smiled and walked alongside him. Our feet moved in harmony, the click of my heels and his dress shoes conversating while we walked. We probably appeared to be a happy couple or good friends to strangers, two things we were far from. At the end of the day, he was my boss and I was his assistant, first names and kind words were never going to change that.