7. FBLA Rep

After the sun goes down and Taylen and I get cleaned up, we all play Cards Against Humanity. Who knew that this group of shy kids weren't as innocent as they seem? Reese wins by a lot. Right before eleven, the girls head out. After they're gone, we play Call of Duty until four in the morning. I like this group.

Damon wakes us up around ten-thirty. We eat breakfast and then one by one, we go home. Devin left first since he had to help his dad with pee-wee basketball practice. I leave soon after. When I get home, I go straight to my room to take a nap.

After sleeping for three hours, I have a headache. I go downstairs to get some ibuprofen and a snack. It's five so dinner will probably be in about an hour. I grab a can of Pringles and go sit on the couch.

Mom comes in from the garden, seeing me eat on her couch. She walks into her bedroom, and five minutes after walks back out in different clothes. Mom sits down beside me and puts her hand on my knee. That's how I know something is up. I turn to face her.

"Your parents called last night," she begins, "they're coming tomorrow night for dinner."

She stares at me, gauging my reaction. The thing is, I really don't like my parents. They have chosen work over me since the day I was born. They gave me to Uncle Rick and Aunt Eliza when I was twelve years old. Before that, I was at their house seven days a week and would stay the night, probably five out of seven nights.

It takes a few minutes for me to process. They expect so much from me, it's baffling. If I don't say, ma'am or sir, even when I'm not in trouble, they get so mad. It's like nothing I do is ever good enough for them.

"They're what?" I ask, just to make sure I heard correctly.

"Apparently, they have big news for you."

"I have plans tomorrow," I say the first thing that comes to mind, anything to get out of this.

"I'm sorry, babe. You'll have to reschedule. This is the only night they could get off."

I don't even bother responding. If I do, it will probably be disrespectful and get me in trouble. I stand up and take the chip can to the trash. I run up the stairs and slip on my shoes. I am not sure where I want to go, but I have got to leave now. I grab my keys and walk out. Mom comes after me, but I yell that I will be back later.

I drive around for hours. I have the radio quietly playing country music, but other than that, silence. By the time I get home, it's ten. Mom and Dad are laid up on the couch. When I open the door, they both rush over. Mom brought me to her, and I let her.

"Don't ever rush out like that again," Mom said sternly, smacking my butt once.

I wince, "Yes ma'am."

I didn't bring my phone, and I have a lot of notifications. Mom texted me five times to make sure I was okay, I had nine Snapchats, and three missed phone calls from my real mom.

I don't even mess with it and go take a shower. I still have paint on me. When I get out of the shower, I fall on my bed and am asleep in seconds. The next morning, I have school. I get up and take a shower, I put on black sweats and a black Under Armour hoodie. Mom made three cans of cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I grab two and sit down.

Dad walks into the kitchen and calls everyone down. Within three minutes, we're all seated and eating.

"Okay, everyone needs to be here right after school, no stops. George and Leena are coming," Dad says while looking right at me.

Everyone groans. 

"I know. You are to be civil and welcoming, understood?" He asks sternly.

"Yes, sir," we all mumble at the same time. We need to leave now, or we're going to be late. I walk over to Mom and kiss her cheek.