12. Cuddle Up

I went to sleep around eight-thirty. I ended up awake at two though, and I could not fall back asleep. I texted Seth for Taylen's number. He sends it along with an angry text about how I woke him up. I type out what I want to say. I hover over the send button for a while, finally, I click send. She probably is asleep and won't get it until morning.

To Taylen:

Hey, it's Peter. I got your number from Seth. I just wanted to say that I am sorry for ignoring you for the last two days. Also, I'm sorry I acted like a mental patient earlier.

Almost immediately, I got a reply.

From Taylen:

It's ok.

To Taylen:

Why are you not asleep?

From Taylen:

Why aren't you?

To Taylen:

Touche.

To Taylen:

Seriously though, why are you not asleep?

From Taylen:

I couldn't sleep. What about you?

To Taylen:

I couldn't sleep either. Why couldn't you sleep?

From Taylen:

Overthinking as usual. What about you?

To Taylen:

I was feeling bad. What were you overthinking?

From Taylen:

Everything.

To Taylen:

If you ever need to talk through your thoughts, I'm here.

From Taylen:

Thanks. Same for you.

To Taylen:

Thanks. Goodnight.

From Taylen:

GoodNight.

I put my phone back on the charger. I stare out the ceiling, thinking. I eventually fall asleep.

My alarm goes off at six, pulling me from my dreamless sleep. I don't feel so hot. I put on some music, and I get in the shower. I brush my teeth and splash my face with cold water.

"What are we wearing today?" I heard one of the triplets shout.

I put on sweatpants and my basketball hoodie. My hair is mostly dry, so I comb it down and go downstairs.

Momma made biscuits and gravy this morning. She is leaning against the counter, drinking her coffee in her robe. She looks over my whole body and scrunches her eyebrows.

"You look different," she says, her brows still furrowed.

I just look at her. Mason and Bryson come down both in joggers. I guess that is what they decided to wear today. Every day they wear the same outfit.

"Mas, grab plates and get to the table," Mom says, being all bossy.

He grabs the plates, and we all sit down at the table. Dad comes into the room and sits down as well.

"What does everyone's day look like after lunch?" Mom asks.

"Why?" Everyone, including Dad, asks.