46. Her POV (4K special)

TAYLEN'S POV

From Chapter 39

I planned for today for weeks. Ever since I found out Peter's birthday was coming up, I kicked into planning mode. I called Eliza and we talked about it for hours. I absolutely adore her. She's so sweet. I got up extra early that day, so I'd be a little more tired than usual. I was worried about the hat I ordered him come in on time, but it did, thankfully. I had gone over to their house late last night and borrowed Peter's phone to set up the watch Dad insisted we get him. He likes birthdays as much as I do.

I wore leggings and a sweater that day. I was late because Carter and I need to stop at the dollar store and get a big gift bag. Carter thought it was stupid that I was so excited about his birthday, but I didn't care. I love my brother dearly, but he's starting to really get on my nerves with his overprotectiveness. He followed me through the store, mumbling rude things about Peter under his breath. I was about to hit my limit with him and I don't think he realized it.

"Why do you even like him? He's so average. Hell, Dylan is basic, and he still has a better personality," he said in distaste.

I don't snap very often, but I did that day, "How would you even know, Carter? Huh? You haven't even tried to get to know him and we've been together for two months. You have been an ass to him the entire time. If you had even tried, you would've seen that he is the funniest, sweetest, most humble person. He's the guy that you should want me to date. I am sick of the comments, they're not only disrespectful to him, they are to me as well. I can pick out guys that are worthy of my time, believe it or not. This is not a conversation I want to have in the middle of the store, take the truck, I'll walk the rest of the way."

"I'm not leaving you here," he replied, rolling his eyes.

"Then go wait in the truck. I'm done talking to you," it was my turn to roll my eyes.

He sighed and walked away angrily. Shaking my head, I continued to the party aisle. I looked through their selection and my options were limited. Either I would have to put everything in a separate bag or I could put it in this big pink, sparkly bag. Making a quick decision, I grabbed the pink bag along with some smaller bags and stuffing paper. I like to have this kind of thing on hand and my stash is getting low. Once I had paid, I went out to the truck. Carter was sitting in the passengers seat like I expected. He was grounded, so I had been driving us the last few days. I put the stuff in the back seat and climbed into my seat. One thing I love about having my own truck is that I never have to adjust the seat. I'm so much shorter than my brother and Dad.

I drove us to school silently. I parked by the gym so that I didn't have to sign out just to grab the presents. I was only 15 minutes late to first hour and Mr. Thatcher was mad but I didn't care. Mason and I have the highest grades in this class, so he can't be too mad. All we do is work on the computer anyway and I'm done for the week.

Peter met me at door of my second hour class when the bell rang. We walked hand in hand to his dad's office. I loved holding his hand. It was my way of saying I was proud to be with him. My love language, I knew, was physical touch and I'm pretty sure Peter's is too.

As he heated up a cinnamon roll his nana makes, I went out to the truck and grabbed the gray bag I put his hat, watch, and birthday card in.

"Happy birthday, love," I said as I stood up on my tippy toes to kiss him softly.

I handed him the bag.

"Thanks. What's this?" He asked, smirking at me.

I love his little smirk he does. It's a little lopsided and always makes my heart flutter.