44. My Pleasure

That Saturday morning I woke up at 5 o'clock in the morning. I tried my hardest to continue sleeping, but my body wasn't cooperating. I laid there another hour before deciding my attempts were pointless. I took a shower and got dressed before going downstairs.

My mom, being the crazy early bird she is, was already awake and mostly through her first pot of coffee.

"What are you doing up so early?" she asked me.

"Couldn't sleep," I mumbled, "I figured I'd go over to Tay's early, and we could hang out a while before we go to that concert tonight."

"That sounds fun, baby," she smiled, "Want something to eat before you leave?"

"I've been really craving cereal this week," I admitted.

"Ok," she handed me a bowl and the cereal while I grabbed the milk and spoon.

I poured a good amount of cereal in my bowl then enough milk that it lifted the cereal off the bottom. I sat down at the bar with my cereal and Mom gave me a glass of orange juice.

"Thanks, Mom."

I ate quickly and left. On the drive there, I had a nice conversation with God about what's going on in my life right now. I'll admit, I don't have a close relationship with God. I don't pray on a regular basis, I pray on Sundays and maybe one day during the week. I'm not the best at letting Him have the 'wheel'- I tend to tackle my own problems, but a couple days ago I saw that Jason had posted a couple questions on his Facebook and they had me thinking about my life.

Jason Sanders' Post-

I know we're doing pretty good here in our lives on Earth, but how are we doing in the life after this one?

What if it really does take more than just being a good ole boy?

These questions really had me contemplating my relationship with God. Our relationship was practically nonexistent. I had pulled away. I knew that- God is never changing. Thursday night, I had dropped to my knees and prayed harder than I ever have. I prayed for forgiveness. I prayed for His will to be done in my life.

By the time I got to the Sanders' residence, I was feeling fulfilled. I parked and walked up to the door. I didn't think about this but I hadn't told her I was coming and they might still be asleep. Just as I was about to knock, Jason opened the door.

"Hey man," he said, seeming a little surprised.

He let me in and offered me something to eat or drink.

"Tay's upstairs. She's sleeping though, she had a rough night," Carter said quietly.

"What do you mean rough night?" I asked.

"She was up all night. She was baking at 3, doing laundry at 4, watching Netflix at 5, and finally at 6, I made her get in bed and we cuddled until she fell asleep," Carter told me.

"You can go on up. She told me one time that she sleeps better when you're with her," Jason gave me a tight lipped smile.

"Thanks."

I walked quietly up the stairs to her room. The door was cracked and when I peaked around, she was looking at me.

"You're supposed to be sleeping," I whispered.

"I know. I can't sleep," she whispered back.

I crossed the room and slipped into her bed. I was facing her.

"Why can't you sleep?"

"I don't know," she wouldn't make eye contact, leading me to believe she was lying.