17. Three Smiling Faces

When I got home, I was instantly grilled. Mom kept asking question after question when all I wanted to do was sleep. Finally, I just told her that she could ask me in the morning when I wake up. After that, she got the hint and let me go to bed.

I woke up the next morning around 9. After scrolling through Instagram and checking my Snapchat, I finally got up. I went into the bathroom to take a shower. I stay in longer than usual, letting the hot water relax my muscles. I didn't realize it, but yesterday I was tense. Some people get butterflies in their stomachs, I, on the other hand, have tense muscles.

I go downstairs and notice that Mom and I are the only ones awake. Great! Note the sarcasm. I slowly make my way over to the coffee pot. I don't usually drink coffee, but today is a coffee morning. I pour my cup, feeling Mom's eyes boring into my back. She silently handed me my favorite creamer out of the fridge. Finally, I finished prepping my coffee, so I turned to face the storm.

As I was expecting, Mom was waiting patiently with a smile. "Tell me everything!" She said as a whisper-yell.

I took a deep breath before launching into my story, giving her every detail because that's what she wanted. Momma always wanted a girl, but she never got one though. She loved us, but we all knew she wished she had a daughter.

When I finished, you would have thought I hung the moon and stars by the way she was looking at me. She was looking at me adoringly. I honestly do not see what the big deal was. Though after seeing Mom's reaction, I could not help but wonder what Taylen thought of it. We started talking about her first date with Dad, and surprisingly it was very similar to mine. She was about to tell me about how she and Dad met when her phone rang.

"Hello," I heard her say before she walked out of the room.

She came back five minutes later with a somber expression. "That was George and Leena, they are coming over at three," she says, gently.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. I'm not in the mood today. "I know, bubby, I know," Mom puts her hand on my arm.

"Go wake up your brothers. We got stuff to get done."

I go upstairs and walk into Mason's room first. I quietly sneak in and slowly crawl into his bed. I start jumping, not on him of course. He continued to sleep, or so I thought. Suddenly, he grabbed my foot and yanked me down, and began to tickle me. I'm only ticklish in some places, and he just happens to know where those places are. He attacks my feet, and I kick, trying to get away. After a few minutes, we're both out of breath.

"Momma says it's time to get up. George and Leena are coming over at three," I try to pant out.

He climbed out of his bed and walked with me to the other two's room.

"One, two, three," he mouthed.

On three, I jumped on Auston, and Mason jumped on Bryson.

"Ugh, stop it," Auston whined.

Mason and I busted up laughing. The triplets all made their way to the bathroom to get washed up. I went back down to help Momma with breakfast. Together we made biscuits and gravy, bacon, and potatoes.

"Go tell the triplets it's ready," Mom says.

"Boys, it's ready!!" I yell just because it gets on her nerves.

Today was not the day to mess with her, though.

"Peter Grayson," she begins exasperated. George and Leena coming over always puts her on edge.

"Now is not the time to get on my nerves. Give me your phone, you have lost it for today. How many times have I told you not to do that?"

"Sorry Mom," I say as I hand her my phone. Hopefully, she will give it back in a few hours, so she won't have time to look through it today.

The boys came downstairs as she was getting onto me. They're trying not to laugh but are having a rough go at it. Mom gives them her look, and they instantly sober up. Everyone in our house knows that you DO NOT tease someone if they get in trouble, or else you get twice their punishment. We are all VERY familiar with this rule and have all suffered the consequences that followed many times.

Dad says grace, and we begin eating. The reality of how sucky today is going to start to set in on me. First, I get grounded, and then George and Leena are coming over later, so we have to bust our butts cleaning. I suddenly lose my appetite but continue to take small bites, so Mom doesn't get more upset with me.

We finished breakfast, and Mom gave us jobs. "Bryson, I want you to clean up the living room. Auston, I want you to clean the downstairs bathroom, and don't half-ass it either." Everyone's eyes widen as Mom rarely curses. "Peter, you're helping me with anything I need help with. Mason, you and Dad are going to anything else that needs to be done. Everyone understand?"

"Yes, ma'am," everyone, including Dad, chorused back.

First, Mom and I cleared the table and did the dishes. Next, she had me wiping cabinets she could not reach. In two hours, I had wiped a dozen cabinets and every table and chair leg in the house.

Mom told us we had an hour break then it was all hands on deck to help her make lunch. The triplets and I decided to throw a baseball back and forth for a bit. After a while, we got bored and headed inside.

"Petey, come here," Mom called.

I walked into the living room where she was, "What?"

"I think you worked hard enough without complaining that you can have this back," she said as she handed me my phone.

"Thanks, Momma," I said, kissing her cheek.

"You're welcome, baby boy."

I walked upstairs and into my room. Checking my texts, I saw one from Alex.

From Alex:

Hey dude! It is going great with Gracie. Thanks for setting us up.

To Alex:

Of course, man. Glad she is working out.

I laid on my bed listening to music until I heard Mom calling us back down.

"Peter, you make a salad, no dinosaur lettuce," she says with a giggle.

Glad to see her in a better mood. "Bryson and Auston, y'all are going to help Dad with the grill, and you better help," Mom tells them sternly.

" Mason, you're going to help me with the sides."

Everyone nods and disperse in the direction of their jobs. I get out the lettuce, onions, cucumbers, and the leftover bacon from breakfast. Sadly, we do not have any tomatoes since I'm the only one who eats them, and I already finished my package of tommy-toes.

Mom and Mason cooked mac and cheese and scalloped potatoes. I'm not sure what Auston and Bryson did because I could hear Mom yelling at them in the backyard to the living room. Dad grilled chicken, burgers, hotdogs, and corn on the cobs.

George and Leena are supposed to show up at 3, and it is 2:45. "Go change," Mom says to all of us. I ran upstairs to change and straighten my hair. Ten minutes later, I am back downstairs in khaki shorts and a polo shirt. This is some bull. I still do not understand why we go through so much trouble every time they come. They always make some dramatic exit and don't talk to any of us for a few weeks, then act as nothing happened. I'm pulled from my thoughts by a knock on the door. Mom motions for me to go get it. I open the door and am met with three smiling faces.