62. I Don't Want to Lose You

After my talk with Mom that day, I didn't feel any better. Mom wanted me to be upfront and honest with Taylen, rather than keeping it from her. I wished that I could tell Taylen, but that would mean an end to our relationship. I really do not want that. I really wish that I never would've gone to that stupid lock-in or got drunk. The only reason Savannah hadn't said anything is she had been suspended and grounded as well. I wasn't sure why she hadn't caught Taylen in the hall or something like that to tell her.

My grounding finally ended, and I'm headed to Tay's now. She had a cheer competition that day and I was going to go and watch. I know she has been under a lot of pressure lately, and I feel like I've been just an annoying rock in her shoe.

I got there a 4 A.M. I was driving her to the school, and then I was going to follow the bus since I wasn't allowed on it. I didn't want to wake Jason or Carter so I went to the door and sent her a text letting her know I was there.

She came to the door and let me in. Her hair was in a low messy bun, and she had on a pair of leggings and a long-sleeved shirt. She went upstairs to grab her bag, and I brewed up some coffee. When she returned downstairs, I had made her mixture into a cheetah print metal thermos. I put mine in a cow print cup similar. She kissed my cheek as a thank you. I grabbed her bag, and we went outside.

It was an overnight thing, and I was staying with Jason and Carter. They were coming down later that day. I was going up early so Tay and I could spend time together. While the squad was practicing their routine, I would work on an essay that's due next week. I had really been putting in more effort, and my grades had been reflecting it. I was at least feeling better about that aspect of my life.

"I just want to say again that I am really sorry about what happened at the lock-in," I said sincerely.

"I know, Petey. It's ok," she replied, kissing the back of my hand that was intertwined with hers.

We spent the rest of the drive filling each other in on what happened in the last month. Mine was very short. I was grounded. To and from school with my dad and brothers. We were in the tournaments and were well on our way to state, but she was a cheerleader. She knew that already.

Taylen's was quite a bit more interesting A new kid had started going to her school, and as a member of the student council, she had the honor to show him around. According to her, he was a very sweet, very quirky individual. I was excited to meet him.

We got to the school, and there weren't very many people there. She was in charge after all. I carried her bag and put it on the bus for her. She had drunk all her coffee and left a pink lipstick stain on the lid. She reapplied and began bossing everyone around in a truly Taylen Elouise Sanders fashion. At 5:30, it was time for us to head out. I went and filled up on gas last night, and based on how many miles I get per gallon and how many miles we were going, I wouldn't have to get gas until we were almost there. I followed behind the big yellow bus for several hours listening to my music playlist.

We stopped at a McDonald's for breakfast. I bought Taylen a coffee and french fries. She was not a biscuit eater nor did she like eggs. She liked bacon, but that was about the only breakfast food she likes. I ate a sausage and biscuit and drank orange juice. I had been slightly obsessed with orange juice in the last few weeks.

We didn't stay at the restaurant very long, and we were back on the road. We made a couple stops at gas stations so the girls could use the restroom. We arrived at the stadium place around 11:15. The cheerleaders went and got their practice gear on and began warming up. I sat in the bleachers and pulled out my laptop.

I had typed all but the introduction and conclusion of my essay when they were finished practicing their routines. There were 3 rounds; dance, school spirit, and freestyle. All of their routines were really good, and I felt they had a great chance of winning.

We went back to the hotel, and everybody got checked in. Taylen helped me since we were using her dad's card. I was a little nervous to have to spend the whole weekend with Jason and Carter without any kind of buffer. Any time I have spent any time with them either Tay or my brothers have been there, they aren't this time.

I put my stuff in my room and went to Tay's hotel room. Taylen and Jaelynn were rooming together. Jae and Grant had broken up a few weeks ago, and at first, Jae was very sad about it, now she's even happier than she was before. Their relationship wasn't as healthy as it should've been, and it reflected in the way that Jae carried herself.

I went in and sat down on Taylen's bed. She came out of the bathroom and sat down on my lap.

"I have missed you," she whispered into my mouth before kissing me deeply.

You have no idea.

We hung out as a group, and we figured out how to screen mirror from our phones onto the TV. We watched a few movies before it was time for dinner. The hotel we were staying at had a free buffet dinner. They were serving pulled pork, mashed potatoes, corn, and rolls. I sat down with Tay, Jae, and Ally. We enjoyed our supper with good company before going back to my room. Jason and Carter had got there, and we greeted them.

Jason was beaming at his daughter with pure pride. She was a sophomore who had worked hard enough to start a squad, then continued to put time and effort into managing the squad. Carter wasn't as impressed, but he still congratulated his sister and hugged her tightly. I went into the bathroom and washed my face to give them some privacy. The four of us watched a movie, and then I walked Taylen back to her hotel room.

"Did you have a good day?" I asked before she opened the room door.

"I did. I'm really glad you came."

"I am too."

We locked eyes, and I was shocked when my eyes started to water.

"Hey, what's the matter, baby?" she asked gently yet concerned.

"I-I don't w-want to lose you-u," I said starting to really cry.