24. Our First Kiss

When I woke up Sunday morning, Mom made me spill every detail of our date. She was so excited she just couldn't stop smiling. It lasted all day.

On Monday morning, I did not want to wake up.

"Peter Grayson, if I have to tell you to get up one more time, I'm bringing water," Mom shouted at me.

I decided to test my luck. I really wanted another two or three hours of sleep. Five minutes later, Mom came back into my room. I laid there with my eyes closed, expecting her to be bluffing. The next thing I knew, she had dumped a bowl of ice water on me. I screamed and jumped up.

Mom was standing there with a stern expression. I glared at her hard. She simply stared at me, daring me to say something about it. She put a pair of clothes on my dresser. I grabbed them and stalked out of the room.

"You have five minutes," Mom called to me.

I skipped showering and just brushed my teeth and washed my face. I was downstairs after 4 minutes and 49 seconds. Mom shoved an egg and bacon sandwich in my hands and sent me out the door with a solid smack on my bottom.

I got to Mrs. Clay's the second the tardy bell rang. She looked at me for a minute before deciding it wasn't worth it. We took notes the whole hour. Finally, the bell rang to dismiss us. I quickly scooped up my stuff and waited for Taylen at her locker.

I could see her down the hallway, walking with the triplets. All of them were laughing. Bryson kicked up his leg behind him to playfully kick her leg. She looked at him with a mischievous smile. She waited until they were about to go around the corner, then she did the same thing. She kicked her leg up high and got him in the butt. He looked shocked, and she walked away smugly.

Taylen came over to me, and I dropped a small kiss on her lips. She blushed, and I smirked. She looked at me from under her eyelashes.

"I gotta go before I'm late, see ya at break," I kissed her forehead and walked away.

Break came, and I waited by Mrs. Clay's classroom door for her. She came out with a scowl on her face.

"What's the matter?" I questioned.

"It's nothing," she smoothed out her face and gave me a reassuring smile.

I looked at her in disbelief, "You can tell me anything."

"I know. I'm fine," she replied with a sure tone, "My mom wanted to know if you'd like to come over for supper tonight?"

"Sure, let me check with my mom," I replied, stunned at the quick change of subject.

We walked to Dad's office, where she waited on me to get a cereal bar, then we went back outside to my friends.

"Hey, Peanut. Hey Tay," Jake said.

"Hi," Taylen replied, smiling brightly.

We talked for a while, and when the bell rang, I wished we could've stayed longer.

I walked Taylen down the hallway to Mrs. Pearson's classroom, then went next door to Mrs. Miller's.

"Peter, may I speak with you for a moment, in the hall?" Mrs. Miller asked.

I followed her out into the hall.

"Peter, your grade is low, real low. You really need to get it up. I don't know what needs to happen to get it up, but I need to speak with your parents about it," she said bluntly.

"Please don't," I pleaded, "I promise I'll get it up."

"See to it that you do. If you can't get it up to at least a D by next week, I'm talking to Dad, ok? It's a 54% now, if you pass the quiz on Thursday and get As on the rest of the assignments, it should be there."