26. Who Wouldn't?

"Good morning, baby," Mom whispered in my ear, patting my bum lightly.

"Uhhh," I groaned, not wanting to get up yet.

"C'mon, Peter," she said, getting annoyed.

I always had the same response when she woke me up.

I got up and showered. I went down to the laundry room wearing only a towel because I did my laundry yesterday!

I grabbed the blue button-down and a nice pair of jeans. I slipped on my black and white polka-dotted boxers and then the jeans and a plain black belt. I blow-dried my hair because it makes it extra fluffy. I chose to wear my boots and bring them with me when I went downstairs. Mom made oatmeal and was setting it on the table when I walked in.

"Go tell the boys it's ready," Mom said.

"Boys! It's ready!" I yelled.

Mom sighed and stomped her foot, "Peter Grayson Harris, I'm sick and tired of you doing that. I've repeated myself more times than I can count on all my fingers and toes, and you still continue to do it. I'm doing something I haven't done in a long time. I'm putting you in timeout. Go find a corner and put your nose in it."

"Mom," I rolled my eyes.

"Now," her voice was beginning to sound dangerous.

"What are we saying 'now' for?" Dad asked, walking into the kitchen.

"I'm trying to put him in timeout, and he isn't going," Mom replied simply.

"What did he do?"

"He was hollerin' like a hoodlum again. I've told him time and time again that he's not to yell in my house, and yet, he still does, so I've been trying to put my foot down."

"Peter, listen to your mother," Dad said sternly.

"Go put your nose in the corner," Mom said again.

"I don't want to," I replied with an attitude.

"One," Mom began to count. I stared her down.

"Do you need help, little boy?" Dad asked, but it sounded more like a threat.

"No sir," I responded in defeat.

"Quit sassing and go do what your mom told you to do," he sent me to the corner with a hard swat to my rear.

I gingerly rubbed the area he swatted and slowly walked over to the corner, and just before I got to the wall, the triplets walked in. I paused. Mom sent me a pointed look, and I stuck my nose in the corner. The table conversation was the same as always, only I could feel eyes on me constantly. I stood in the damn corner, just wanting to be out. This is the second time within just a couple months I've been put in the corner. I'm almost 17, dammit. After everyone finished, the triplets went into the living room. Dad stayed at the table. Mom walked over to me.

"Why were you put in timeout?" she asked as if I was 4.

"Cause you're acting like a bitch," I rolled my eyes.

Her eyes clouded over and she popped my mouth. I know what you're thinking. I should've lost my attitude and just apologized, but clearly, I wasn't thinking clearly. I could see Dad from the corner of my eye, and he was glaring at me dangerously.

"Go to your room," she said in her mom's voice that left absolutely no room for argument.

"Yes, ma'am," I sighed.

We still had about 45 minutes before we needed to leave for church. I went to my room and sat at my desk. 10 minutes later, Mom walked in and was still pissed.