35. Woah, Okay

It was really late when we got to the lake house. I stirred as soon as the truck was in park. I was extremely surprised that Taylen didn't. I know she suffers from insomnia and doesn't sleep a lot. Carter carried her and Julie in while I got the bags.

The inside was nice. There was a big kitchen and living room as soon as you walked in the door. The staircase was in the back corner of the dining room. Upstairs there were 3 bedrooms. He laid Julie in one of the bedrooms and Taylen in another.

"In the morning, Peach planned for us to go hunting together. Check her alarm and make sure it's on, please."

I took Taylen's socks off, knowing that she hated sleeping in socks. She always freaked out if she woke up and she was wearing socks. Once I got her situated, I grabbed her phone and checked her alarm. Then I noticed something suspicious in her call log.

She had talked to Dylan for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I was instantly jealous. I closed the tab and put her phone on the charger. I didn't want her to know I knew.

I didn't get much sleep that night. Thoughts of losing her plagued my mind. I tried to convince myself that it meant nothing. That it was harmless. The poisonous thoughts kept coming.

Eventually, I wore myself out. I woke up to Taylen giving me butterfly kisses. Sleepily, I rubbed my eyes and sat up.

"Good morning, Peter Grayson."

"Morning," I offered.

"Your mom packed your hunting gear. I heard Carter get up a few minutes ago," she said in a tired tone.

"Ok," I kissed her cheek and got up.

I looked through my bag and got out my heavy, camo getup. I enjoyed hunting but I hardly ever get to go because I've always got something to do. I'm excited to be going except it's with Carter and that might be awkward.

I finished getting ready and walked down the hall to the kitchen/living room area. Carter was making something.

"Morning sunshine," he said with a small smile.

He smiled at me! I've always heard the saying "it's the little things".

"Good morning," I replied, feeling optimistic for the first time in the last 12 hours.

Carter gave me a plate of fried eggs with cheese, "I don't know how to cook much else," he explained.

I told him that it was fine. We ate in silence, the only noise being forks scraping the plates. Once we finished, he put the dishes in the sink. We left after saying goodbye to our girls.

We had sat in the blind for probably an hour and a half without seeing anything.

"Carter, can I ask you a question?" I broke through the silence.

"You just did," he joked.

I laughed lightly but it was forced.

"Oh shit, you're being serious?"

I nodded.

"Ok, lay it on me," he sighed.

I took a deep breath. I had been fighting the urge to ask him all morning. Next to probably Jae and Dani, he knows Tay best.

"What do you know about Taylen and Dylan?"

"Umm, probably the same as you. She had a huge crush on him for like 2 years. Finally, he developed a crush on her. Dani got them together. It was in February of 2019. They dated all throughout the summer. He was really toxic to her though. He was extremely jealous and controlling. She's her own person and that person won't be controlled, especially by a man. Taylen ended their romantic relationship but they still are kinda friends. Why do you ask?"