37. Avoiding Me

I was absolutely exhausted. I had not been home before 9 at all this week. Monday, Thursday, and Friday we had games. Monday and Thursday's games were more than 2 hours away. Friday was at home, but juniors put on an auction to raise money for prom, so I was there until 11 working on that. Tuesday, I went out with Leena again. Leena, Everly, and I went to dinner, the movies, and bowling. It was about 10 when I got home, but I'd been really slacking on my chores for a while, and Mom was beginning to get upset about it.

It's finally Saturday and I have no plans. I've been quite distant with Tay this week, giving excuses as to why I can't hang out with her during our breaks at school or sit with her at any of the games. I could tell that she was beginning to notice and get upset, but I ignored it. I haven't asked her about her call with Dylan and I don't think I want to. She would've mentioned it had it not been something she was trying to hide. All week these dark thoughts kept creeping in.

I didn't go downstairs until almost noon. I walked into the kitchen and had to do a double take at what I saw. My mom and Taylen were baking cookies.

"Hey," I said lamely, "What are you doing here?"

"Hey, your mom is showing me how she makes her cookies," Taylen replied quickly.

"Good morning, baby boy," said my mom.

She turned toward the microwave and handed me a plate of potato casserole that I assume they ate for breakfast. Tay kept on with what she was doing, not giving me the time of day. Not that I blame her.

"Thanks, Momma."

I sat at the bar to eat and watched them as they baked. Once they put them in the oven, Tay turned to Mom.

"I'll be back in a few hours. I've got a few things to do, but I'll be back as soon as I can. I was thinking I might pick up pizza for everyone on my way back?"

"Sure, sweetie. Have fun and be safe," Mom gushed.

Tay kissed my cheek lightly on her way out.

"What is going on with you and her?!?" she demanded as soon as we heard the door shut.

Ok, so I decided not to tell her.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to play innocent.

She gave me her 'mom look' and I decided to start talking.

"Ok, so when we were on our way to the lake house, Taylen fell asleep and I carried her in. Carter said to check her alarm and make sure it was on. I went to do that and I accidentally clicked on the phone button and it brought up her call history. I was about to close it, and then I saw her ex's name," I paused and looked at Mom's face, trying to read her expression. It was completely blank.

"I was curious and looked to see when and how long it was. It was over an hour."

It dawned on me why she wasn't giving a reaction.

"You knew, didn't you?!"

Mom hesitated, "Baby, I really think that you should talk to her about it. It's really not my business to talk about."

I sighed and stomped off to my room. I laid on my bed thinking for a long time. I finally went back downstairs. Mom was still in the kitchen.

"I'll talk to her about it when she gets back," I told her.

Momma nodded her head approvingly and kissed my cheek. I sat at the bar and talked to kill time. Finally she was back.

"Supper's here," she said cheerfully, walking into the kitchen.