8. Adopted?

When I get home, my parents' car is already in the driveway. This blows! I swear my life is a series of unfortunate events. I park in my usual spot and take several deep breaths to prepare myself for the evening. I told Momma I would be civil, so now I have to be.

While they are here, I won't call Mom and Dad, mom and dad. I will have to use that name on my real parents. Hopefully, none of us accidentally slip up. I slowly get out and grab my backpack. Maybe I can run up to my room for a few minutes before going to face the storm.

No such luck. As soon as I opened the door, all the adults, excluding Dad, were sitting on the couch. Aunt Eliza (Mom) looked very uncomfortable. She forces a laugh at something George says. Leena notices me first.

"How's my baby?" she says, as she hugs me and kisses my face all over.

I have to try really hard not to push her away. George comes over to us then.

"Leena, give the boy some space," he sticks his hand out for me to shake.

"Sir," I nod as I shake his hand. He hums.

Aunt Eliza looks at me sympathetically. She knows how little I care for them. I love them because they are parents, but I do not respect them. Aunt Eliza walks over to me and pulls me into a hug.

"It's only for a few hours. We'll make up to you tomorrow," Mom whispers in my ear before kissing my cheek. I nod, not wanting to draw attention to us.

I take off my shoes, knowing that George and Leena are watching my every move. I take my stuff upstairs and use the bathroom. I probably won't be able to get away for the rest of the night. I leave my phone upstairs too. Just in case they want to go through it.

Uncle Rick and George talk for a while, making me feel better. The triplets and I sit silently on the couch on the other side of the room. One hour down, three to go. I guess George got tired of the tiptoe conversation between him and Rodger. He interrupted Dad mid-sentence.

"Look Rodge, I know what you are doing. Has my son been behaving? Does he have good grades? Is he respectful?"

Uncle Rick glances at me. I really hope he does not mention the party I went to. He opens his mouth to speak, but before he does, Aunt Eliza pops her head into the room to tell us that supper is ready. Before walking away, she looks at me and winks. That brings a smile to my face. At least I know she is on my side.

Momma must have spent all day working on this. There are mashed potatoes, gravy, mac and cheese, fried chicken and steak bites, rolls, and a salad. She really wants this to go well. I'm pretty sure I smelt brownies when I walked in the door too.

"How was everyone's day?" Mom asks, just like every other day.

We all looked at each other, seeing who was going to answer first. George cleared his throat, and I spoke up.

"Mine was good, ma'am. Thank you for asking."

The triplets followed suit soon after. I just want them to leave. After a few more minutes of small talk, George looked at Dad, "How is my son doing?"

George probably spoke a little too rudely because Dad's jaw clenched and had a look on his face that we kids know well. He is about to snap. Just before any words come out of his mouth, Mom grabs his leg. Shocked by this, he looks at her. She gives him her famous 'mom' look. Dad's jaw unclenches, as he looks back over at George.

"He is doing well, no thanks to you."

George misses the last part, thankfully. Mom shoots Dad an exasperated look. George looks at me.

"What do your grades look like?"

I know that my grades are not up to his standards. What is he going to do about it?