30. You'll Survive It

The drive home was awkward. My hands were hurting, my butt was hurting, my girlfriend was upset, I was getting in more trouble when I got home, and it was not a great day, overall. Tay and I didn't speak much, and when we did, it was me asking what she wanted for dinner. To which she answered that she wasn't hungry. I stopped at Taco Bell and got Taylen what she ordered last time anyways. She ate a taco.

It was 11:30 when I got home, and Dad was the only one downstairs. Mom was in bed, and the boys were out still since their curfew wasn't until 12:30. Dad was sitting on the couch with his arms crossed when I walked into the living room.

"Heard you had some fun this weekend," he started, "I thought we had already had a conversation about that?"

"We have, sir."

"So why did you do it?"

I shifted uncomfortably.

"Peter Grayson, that was not a rhetorical question. Why the hell would you go to a party, get drunk, and be irresponsible all while staying at your grandparents' house?" Dad raised his eyebrows in an obvious warning.

I figured it would be best to start talking, "The boys wanted me to go, and I forgot to mention it to Taylen. Then, she got mad at me when we pulled up. She raised her voice at me, and I started drinking just to spite her. I just wanted to have a good time."

He rolled his eyes and sighed at me, "How hard did Pop spank you?"

"I'm hurting," I replied.

"Why are your hands so red?"

I hadn't noticed, but they definitely were.

"Nan got me too," I replied simply.

He nodded like he understood. I'm sure he had the same treatment growing up.

"Go on up to bed, you have school and tutoring tomorrow. I won't whip you today because I'd rather not bruise you, so I'll take care of your Saturday night shenanigans on Tuesday afternoon, before the game."

"Yes sir."

He hugged me and swatted me once. I let out a quiet whimper. I went up and took a quick shower, then fell asleep in my bed, half-naked and on my tummy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Peter, get up," Mom said sternly.

It wasn't the gentle wake-up call I was used to.

"Mom," I groaned.

"Now Peter Grayson. There are clothes on your desk for you to put on."

I laid there for another minute and then got up and went to shower.

When I went into the kitchen, I was met with several looks of disapproval. How did I manage to piss literally everyone in my life off?

I silently grabbed a biscuit and began to walk out the door. Mom followed behind me and cleared her throat.

"Don't I get a hug?" she asked.

I smiled and walked into her embrace.

"I don't want you to leave without saying I love you, you mean too much to me. Even though I'm currently upset with you, my love for you is just as strong," she told me and kissed my cheek.

I drove to school and waited until I saw Carter's truck pull in. I got out and rushed to meet Taylen.

"Oh hey, Peter," she was the opposite of enthusiastic.