Chapter 15

Dawn rose above the sky, waking up the four and Reaper woke up trying to get used to the sun that spilled in their room. Smoke was the first to crawl out of bed and make himself a cup of coffee. After making the cup, he noticed Midnight walk into the kitchen where he saw that she was still in her clothes, he quills somewhat of a mess.

"Well, good morning." he chuckled, seeing her. "What?" she asked somewhat annoyed. Looking up and down with his eyes, Midnight realized that he noticed she never changed her clothes or untied her quills. "So, did you stay out too late?" he questioned. "W-Well... yes I did. I guess I wanted to stay out to see the stars for a bit longer." she sighed, trying to throw off any suspicion. "Mhm. You didn't change into your pajamas." he noted. Midnight rolled her eyes and walked to the fridge to pour herself a glass of orange juice. "Okay? And?! I was lazy!"

Before she could walk off into the living room, he grabbed her arm which caused her jacket to slide down a bit.

On her neck, there was a dark purple mark that didn't really stand out unless you looked hard enough. "Did the stars do that?" Midnight pulled away and then covered her neck better. "No! I don't know where that came from!" she cried. The rest of them walked into the kitchen where Smoke was ready to tell them everything. "Yo what's with all the arguing?" Diamond whined. Before she could run off, Smoke put an arm around her playfully.

"Someone, went on a romantic rendezvous last night!" he sneered, gently shaking Midnight. 

"Oooh! Midnight! You snuck out?" Diamond questioned in a playful tone, raising her eyebrows.

"Damn! For real? Didn't think you were the romantic type!" Fade teased.

"Alright, who is it? I need to start digging a grave." Mystic growled.

Reaper snickered as he sat on Midnight's shoulder and gave her looks.

Not believing what she was hearing, Midnight tried to walk away again before Smoke barely pulled down her jacket again. "Night! Omg, please tell me it did not escalate that far!" Diamond gasped. "It better not have." Mystic growled again. "No! Oh my gosh no! I didn't do anything! Okay? It's nothing!" she cried exasperated. "Soooo, you have to tell us. Who's the lucky winner?" Fade asked curiously.

Placing her glass down, Midnight sighed and tapped her fingers on the countertop angrily. "I'm assuming you won't leave me alone?" she asked impatiently. "Okay fine! I... I was out on the balcony last night looking at the stars... but, he came over and scared me half to death. I fell off the railing and he caught me. We hung out for a bit and kissed but nothing more than that! And yes... we're dating." she explained briefly.

"Uh-huh. We got that memo. Apart from the little "mark" on your neck, did you do anything else that's questionable?" Fade wondered. "No. We kissed, cuddled, and hung out. That was it!" she promised them. "Well? Spit it out! Who is it?" Diamond demanded, shaking her friend. "It's... It's Blizzard." she said at last.

All of them were surprised but didn't say anything. "Oh. Really? Wow, that's cool!" Diamond replied happily. "Yeah, we're happy for you Midnight!" Fade cheered. Even Reaper chewed happily and nuzzled her playfully. "Honestly, I'm proud you found someone Midnight." Smoke reassured her. 

"Mm. I'll try to be cool. Don't think I'm not looking out for you though." Mystic replied. Midnight smiled softly and hugged all five of her friends. "We're here for you, okay? We're going to talk to this boy of yours too! He's got to know what we've got planned if he hurts you!" Diamond added.

Something then clicked in her mind. "What about the rest of you guys? Hmm? You seem to be eyeing certain someones." she wondered, remembering the past few days.

They started giving her looks and laughing. "Funny. I think it's just you!" Smoke replied, but a hint of doubt escaped his throat. "Mhm. Sureeee. I've noticed it, you guys! You can't hide from me!" she said, crinkling her nose playfully. "Tell me! I told mine! It's only fair!" she snapped. For a few minutes, they didn't say anything. "Alright fine! I'll go first, even though you're going to laugh," Diamond began. "I like... Hunter..." she sighed. All of them were silent, knowing how mysterious Hunter could be. "Oh my gosh! Say something!" Fade teased.

"Ugh! Alright! He's just really cute! Besides that, he's had patience with me. I've never met someone who actually cares about me in that sort of way. Other than you guys of course!" she added. "You and Hunter would make a great pair. Honestly, I didn't even think someone like you could have feelings for a guy like him." Midnight reassured. "Well... I was just as shocked! But I have a crush on him!" she giggled.

They smiled before looking at one another. "Well, come on! The rest of you better spill the beans." Midnight snapped. Mystic sighed and sat down in his seat. "Well since we're already confessing, I might as well get it over with," he growled.

"So... you all know Ruby. The one who's supposed to keep track of me? If anything she's been really kind and patient. But she's not really good at hiding that she has a crush on me. Not that I  care... cause... if I'm being honest with myself... I think I like her back." he replied. "Oooh Mystic! And here I thought you were cold-hearted!" Diamond chuckled. "Maybe I have some exceptions..." he said, flustered about the crush he had. "Ruby is an interesting one to like. She tries to burn anyone that talks trash about her sister. Which her sister's already a whole different story to deal with." Smoke sighed.

"But, that's what I like about her. She's got a spark to her. Literally. And she wants to be better for the rest of us. To understand that. Which, let's be honest, no one really wants to understand who we are." he said. They all nodded in agreement. Ruby was an interesting card.

"Ok, my turn!" Smoke declared. Most of them were confused since he didn't really do all the romance stuff. "You? For real? I thought you were anti-romantic?" Fade questioned. "Eh, I thought I was. But... believe it or not, Finn changed my view. I... I kind of already caught feelings for him towards the beginning. But now it feels different since he's helped me. Plus that guy has the patience of a saint. But damn he's funny!" he replied.

They chuckled and smiled at the guy they thought didn't have a heart. "You know, we were wrong for doubting you." Mystic teased. Smoke rolled his eyes playfully, then they turned their attention to the other hedgehog in the room. Fade looked at them confused before giving them a defeated sigh. "Alright, whatever. I like Catrina. Happy now?" she snapped. "Very." Midnight teased. "You guys are made for each other! An edgy hedgehog like you!" began Smoke. "And an inferior squirrel like her!" Mystic added. "Don't push it." Fade snapped.

Once discovering their love for the secret one they hadn't revealed until now, they sighed before erupting in laughter. "Who would've thought we would sink to this level!" Diamond giggled as she rolled around on the ground. "Oh shut up! We haven't lost everything!" Midnight chuckled. "At least we're going down together!" Fade smiled. "Yeah, I can say we've gotten pretty far on our own lately. Surprisingly." Smoke replied. "But... what about those Chaos Emeralds?" Mystic questioned. Midnight sat down on the couch and sighed.

She thought for a minute, knowing deep down that they were somewhere out there, still missing. "Well... I know they're out there somewhere. But... we have to keep an eye out for them. Just make sure it's not obvious to the others." Midnight replied. "Good enough! We've got this!"  Smoke reassured.

Even if they were struggling now, there was nothing holding them back now.