Chapter 74

The bright vision dissipated from Midnight's view as she slowly opened her eyes. She could hear the beeps of the machines and whirs of other sounds in the distance. Turning her head to one side, she could see the opening to the hospital room door. Employees walked back and forth while she got a full feeling for the entire room. Turning to the other side, she saw Shadow passed out in the other chair next to her bed. Looking down at her arms, she saw the injections in her arms.

She had lost more energy than she should've. Midnight felt drugged but gathered the strength to reach the table near her. A glass sat near the edge which she managed to knock over. The plastic made a few taps as it hit the ground. It made Shadow stir and open his eyes. He met Midnight's gaze who was trying to wake up. Shadow shook himself awake and immediately raced over to her side. "Night! Holy shit!" he cried. Midnight weakly smiled. "Hey Dad..." she sighed, looking up. Shadow laughed while wiping tears from his eyes. He hugged her tightly before crying. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" he sobbed.

Midnight shut her eyes in annoyance. "I'm sorry too... I shouldn't have done all that..."

"No... It was my fault all of this happened to begin with! Chaos Emeralds were not worth all the trouble." he sighed. "Dad, please just shut up." Midnight softly growled as she was now done being suffocated by Shadow's death grip. Shadow then sat back as the nurse brought Midnight more proper care and some proper food. She sat up and ate while watching television.

A little bit soon after, there was a rapid knocking on the slightly cracked door. Shadow grumbled while marching over to the door. "What now." he muttered as he opened it. He was immediately crushed by Diamond slamming him to the wall with the door. "NIGHT!" she wailed, racing to her side. "Diamond! Watch the door bro! You could really hurt someone!" Smoke warned as he ran alongside her. Shadow groaned as he stood up from the ground. He closed the door slowly. "A heads up would've been nice." he snapped.

Just as he closed it, it was slammed on him again. "Oh my gosh, we heard!" Fade cried out, running into the room. Mystic came behind her afterwards and closed the door behind him only to find Shadow on the floor again. He was holding back all his anger seeing that Midnight's friends were overwhelmed with happiness seeing that she was okay. "Ahh! I'm so sorry! We should've done better! None of this would've happened if we didn't take down Eggman faster!" Diamond whined. "Diamond it's okay. I think we've all learned." Midnight reassured her. "That's for sure! I'm through! Please let me rest!" Smoke huffed as he leaned over Midnight's other side of the bed. "We're glad you're okay! I was worried about everything when Eggman began to control us." Fade chimed.

"Next time let's not almost destroy the entire towns shall we?" Mystic told them. Midnight chuckled and dealt with her friends trapping her in one spot. After they settled down, they talked and laughed about the whole ordeal with Shadow grumbling in the corner while placing an ice pack on his head. About an hour later, there was a knock on the door. Hesitant at first, Shadow walked over to open it, peaking out to see who it was. Blizzard waved at the door, trying to get his attention. "Hey, uh... Is Midnight doing better?" he asked. Annoyed, Shadow closed the door on him.

"Dad, who was that?" Midnight wondered suspiciously. Shadow slumped down in a chair and sighed. "Some grey idiot." he huffed, closing his eyes. Smoke shrugged and went to open the door himself and saw Blizzard standing there. "Oh! Hey! Midnight your boyfriend's here!" he shouted. Surprised by this, Midnight sat up some more, trying to get a better glance. Blizzard entered the room. "Hey, how are you?" he asked. "I'm doing better. My head still hurts a little bit but I'm getting there."

There was an awkward pause. Her friends caught the cue and began shuffling to get out of the room. Shadow remained, pretending to be asleep. Once they were alone, Blizzard approached her side, stroking her face gently. "Are you sure you're okay?" he asked worriedly. "I'm fine, seriously. I just... I can't believe I did something so stupid... How am I gonna forgive myself..." she cried, rubbing her face. "We all make mistakes Night! I should've done something more too. I was being an ass the entire time you were here and didn't do anything to help really... Our little spat never should've happened. I should've been loyal. To be honest, it was our parents that made it possible for us to move on. You shouldn't have dealt with anything that happened to you... I'm sorry... But... I love you, Night. And I'm never leaving your side again."

Smiling happily, Midnight reached up to touch his face, her hand shakily trying to grasp onto him. "I love you too... Thank you for everything..." she sighed. Blizzard chuckled, leaning in. He kissed her, enjoying being so close to her again. Midnight kissed back, holding onto him. They stayed like that for a while, enjoying this sweet moment. They pulled away, taking a minute to nuzzle each other. Before they could lean in again, something hit Blizzard in the head, making him turn to see who it was.

Now readjusted in his chair, Shadow snored loudly, his left arm dangling over the side. Blizzard looked down and saw a tissue box that was discarded. He picked it up and glimpsed at Shadow who snored some more but opened one eye slightly to see if they had noticed. Midnight was not amused. She took the tissue box and threw it right back at him. Shadow cried out, falling out of the chair, and laying there on the floor for a minute. Blizzard chuckled nervously, trying to calm down his partner.

Feeling happy about everything, Midnight relaxed, allowing Blizzard to be her entertainment. Getting bored, Shadow decided to head downstairs to get a cup of coffee.

No one paid too much attention to his presence, which was fine with him. He poured a fresh hot cup of hot coffee before adding sugar. "Still drinking it rather plain still I see." Shadow coughed a bit, not expecting to see the blue hedgehog coming up to him. He patted his chest a few times and cursed Sonic under his breath. "Sorry! Thought you were still upstairs!" he added, handing the ebony some napkins.

"I was. Then my daughter's friends and her mindless boyfriend came up to see her. I couldn't sleep so I came to get a drink." he replied, sipping the coffee. "Ah, I see. You feeling okay after all that?" he asked. Shadow shrugged. "Better than a few hours ago. How's everyone else?"

"Well, Mobius Council is doing fine along with their kids. I've talked with Queen Elise and we plan to make a lot of changes for both towns. Your friends went off to get dinner somewhere, they know their kids went down here. But... Eggman's in the prisons for right now..." he replied. Shadow glanced at him, his ears folding. "You know... We've been down this path before..." Sonic nodded his head. "I know... Let's do it better this time... Tons of others are depending on us to be better." he replied. "Yeah, I know."

Outside the window, they saw the moon rise above the sky, illuminating everything between both towns. They stared at each other, slight sparks in their eyes. Shadow reached over, gently grabbing Sonic's hand, and rubbing his fingers with his thumb. "You know... we've been here before too..." he said, his tone soft as it ever has been in a long time. Sonic scoffed. "I know..."

After another minute, they smiled at each other. "Together, you and me. We're going to fix everything the way it's supposed to be." Sonic told him, happily. "Trust me, I know we'll figure it out."