Chapter 59

The sounds of birds chirping and cars honking woke up Rouge and Reaper from their sleep. A bicycle bell went off making Rouge's eyes flutter. She sat up and looked around. This wasn't her house in Dark Side. Obviously, she knew that. But it was an odd feeling. Reaper yawned and fluttered his little wings before flying around the wing. He then hopped up on Rouge's shoulder and nuzzled her softly. Rouge giggled and petted the Chao with her index finger. "You're adorable I'll give you that."

Together they got ready for the day. After all, they had no clue what was in store for any of them. "I'm not sure what to expect hun, but if anything, you have to stay hidden. If the Echidna finds out I have a little stowaway, they'll try to confiscate you. So, be patient with me will you?" she told the Chao. Reaper nodded his head and then went to hide within her wings.

When they were ready, they walked out of the room to head into the main area. Right then Rouge was greeted by Misty sitting on the couch still in her pajamas while holding a video game controller. "Get it get it get it! Typhoon, Finn, get them on the right!" Misty ranted in his headphone mic. Not sure how to react, Rouge blinked a few times before walking to the kitchen to get a glass of water. When she got there, Knuckles was waiting for her with a cup of coffee.

"Good morning!" Rouge jumped in surprise before gathering herself together. "Sorry, did I scare you?" Knuckles teased, handing her the mug. Rouge rolled her eyes and pushed his mug away. "Look, I don't want anything from you. The only reason I'm here is that I don't back down on bets... even ones from ages ago. So after it's over, you can lock me up in whatever cell you have set up for me. It wouldn't be the first time." she told him firmly. Knuckles gently took her hand and held it. "You'll be surprised to hear that that's not going to be the case for us. Queen Elise has decided to let you and some of the others have some leniency. With supervision of course. That's good news right?" he told her.

Although Rouge wasn't expecting what he was saying. She flashed him a confused look trying to comprehend his logic. "Why- Why would you do that?" Knuckles slowly stirred the coffee with a spoon. "I think it's because we're all trying to be better for our kids and for you guys. We've messed up a lot these past years. I know you probably won't be able to forgive a bunch of our actions... I wouldn't either if I was you. But I want you to know we're all here for you." he told her.

For a moment Rouge held his hand back and looked him in the eyes. They didn't do anything but she felt warm. Just as she felt relaxed with him, footsteps headed toward them. "Hey dad," Misty began. Rouge quickly took her hand away and held it before looking at the ground. "Is it okay if I go hang out with Finn and Typhoon? I promise I'll be back by three." she asked. Knuckles sighed and nodded. "Might as well. I don't want you to be cooped up here forever."

Misty let out a happy "yes" before heading off to her room to get changed. Once she was gone, Rouge looked up. "Before we even think about doing anything together, I want to see my friends. I refuse to do anything for you or with you without seeing them first. Got that?" she demanded. Knuckles nodded his head. "I get it. We're meeting up with them very soon. Be patient for us okay?" he replied. Rouge scoffed and headed out. Knuckles sighed and shook his head. "This might take some time."

...

The Mobius prison security checked them again as they were checked over one last time. Scourge hissed at them as they took his cuffs off and replaced them with a small collar. Infinite didn't resist as they replaced his cuffs with special bracelets. Mephiles sighed as the removed the cuffs and also placed a collar on. Jet, Fiona, and Lightning got there's taken off with something else put into their necks. It was a slight prick that made them cry out. "What the hell was that?!" Jet snapped.

"Tracking chip. Be grateful." the guard told them. Jet rubbed his neck annoyed. "Dumb prick." he muttered. Once they were set, all of them were escorted to the front of the prison where they were met by the Mobians who smiled at their arrival. Confused, Scourge and Infinite exchanged a look. Mephiles rolled his eyes in annoyance. "They're trying to "reform" us. No wonder they're letting us out of this hell for no reason." he explained to them. His companions shook their heads and groaned. "This is a lame ass excuse to avoid an apology." Fiona muttered. The guards pushed them out of the door and in front of Queen Elise. None of them knew how to answer so they stared at her then back at each other.

"Hello everyone! Welcome to Mobius! We're pleased to-"

"What plan are you pulling out of your ass this time?" Scourge questioned suspiciously.

Blaze forced herself to swallow her rage as Amy placed a hand on her wife's arm. "I understand that none of you trust us. You have no reason to in all fairness. However, we have decided to fix our mistakes by letting you enjoy our home today. We all know there's nothing we can do to make up for a lifetime of hurt and pain. But all we can do now is try. We'll build your trust, and we'll build up ours. Each of you has someone who will take care of you for the time being until we can fully announce you citizens of Mobius!" Elise told them.

All of them stared at her with looks of disbelief. None of them quite understood why she was acting this way. "So what you're saying is that you wanna fill our minds with rainbows and unicorns until we're all nice and kind like the rest of you? Or at least until we're all sappy and no longer a threat. Am I reading you correctly?" Lightning snarked. Elise couldn't speak, she was taken off guard. "I have to admit, your kids don't fall far from the tree." Vector told them. Espio elbowed him in the stomach making him cry out. "Her Majesty and Vector are trying to say that we want you to be a part of our lives again. And to that, it takes time and trusts to build up! We'll try to do whatever we can to help too. We're trying to get things back on track. Can we call it a truce?" Tails told them.

They waited a minute and nodded. "Honestly, I want to see how long you can keep up your act for." Infinite told them, making his friends laugh. Tails let a huge huff out from his nose before turning around to face Blaze. "I can see why you have trouble holding back your anger." he noted.

All their helpers met up with them realizing that this wasn't a joke. It was really happening now and it would be official. Not all of them were surprised but then again, some of them were a little taken aback. As soon as it was official, the group saw Rouge standing in the back still waiting for them to show up. The one who was most relieved was Fiona who raced to her right away. "Rouge!" she gasped and tackled her friend. The others ran over there to go greet her. "Oh my gosh! I thought you were hurt!" Fiona cried. "Well, I was, for a while. But then I got released by the Echidna. He's agreed to let me see you guys." Rouge smiled.

Infinite smiled and nuzzled his friend as Scourge joined him by picking her up off the ground. "Aw, we missed you too! But the Echidna? Rouge, he knocked you out himself! Look I may be collared like a dog- but I'll beat the hell out of him if I have to!" Scourge raged. "Scourge, please. I'm fine really! There's not a lot any of them can do to keep me down forever," she reassured. "And I'll do anything it takes to get back to my daughter."

Mephiles walked over and noticed her wings. They were tightly bound by the contraption that was placed on her. Concerned, he inspected the device. He touched it lightly as Rouge's wings clenched in reflex. Jet walked over and looked at it too. "Rouge... they've bounded you..." Jet told her sadly. "Yes, I know." she replied dryly. Mephiles looked at her concerned. "You haven't said anything to them?" Mephiles questioned concerned. "No... why would I? It doesn't change anything! What happened in Dark Life is in the past! I'm not worried about it. Please relax. All of you have bigger problems than this! I mean really, Mephiles, you and Silver? Makes me wanna laugh!" Rouge replied, sneering at him.

Mephiles narrowed his eyes at her briefly. "Infinite and a red wolf? How adorable." Infinite mumbled under his breath. "Don't even get me started on Lightning over there and her mommy issues!" Lightning laughed herself, knowing that Rouge was trying to cheer them up. "Poor you Fiona, I mean I don't know Tangle but seriously." Fiona flicked her ears and smoothed out a piece of fur. "And Scourge, try not to lose your shit too much!" she added. Scourge huffed. "I don't want to be anywhere near that green bastard. Yet here I am! Jet is the only one here getting to hang out with someone he likes!" Jet shrugged and smiled. "It's not my fault I have someone I know here."

All of them then realized there was someone missing. They looked at Rouge again. "Wait... where's Shadow?" Lighting asked worriedly. Rouge's ears folded. "I thought he was in the prison with you guys..." she responded. Knowing they must've done it on purpose, Mephiles stormed over to the Mobians who were getting their own situations sorted out. Once they acknowledged his presence, he growled.

"Where's Shadow?!"