Chapter 22

In another part of town where is busier at this time of the time. Midnight, Diamond, Smoke, Fade, and Mystic made is halfway across town. They went where there really was a party happening. The place known as Rouge's was packed with people. The main entrance had tons of party-goers trying to get in.

"Diamond, please tell me there's another way in." Fade whined. "Uh... yeah! Trust me. Follow me!" she urged, all of them quickly going around back. There was a door on the back with a lock on the main handle so no one else could access it. "Soooo, what's our next plan?" Smoke questioned impatiently. Diamond tapped her heel before kicking it multiple times in a row right on the weakest mark.

Another kick or two and it broke apart. "Woah, didn't know you could do that!" Fade exclaimed. "I have my mom's specialties!" Diamond smiled. "And aren't we grateful!" Midnight smiled.

Opening the door and walking inside, they knew they walked into the storage room. Inside there were boxes of supplies waiting to be unpacked. Diamond sighed knowing there was much more than there should've been. "She's worried... I've gotta find her!" she cried, running off.

"Wait up Diamond!" Midnight urged. Everyone found their way through the maze of boxes and found the main door entering the kitchen. There inside were the chefs, other waiters, and a bright greet hawk. "Hey, I need another round of dumplings! I need two plates of the hefty platter! And can someone get me three cups of pop!" the green hawk shouted. The five walked further into the kitchen.

As they walked into the kitchen, the green hawk paused in her tracks and looked at them. In shock, she barely had words. "M-Midnight! Diamond! Fade! Smoke and Mystic!" she cried. "Yeah, it's us!" Smoke replied happily. She dropped an empty tray and ran up to hug Midnight. "I thought you were gone for good..." she whispered. "Oh Envy! You know nothing could keep us from Darkside!" Midnight chuckled. "Y-Yeah I know! But... it was so long no one didn't know if you were okay or not!" she cried. "Don't worry, we're all fine! And we're never leaving again." Midnight promised.

Envy wiped away a small tear and looked at the others. "How are our parents?" Diamond asked. "Well... they've been better! Rouge though..." Envy began, pointing to bottles. "She's been drinking a bit more lately... a lot more stress. Plus she's been dealing with some really obnoxious customers... it got so bad Shadow and Mephiles had to come." she added. "W-Where is she now?" Diamond asked, tears forming in her eyes. "I think she's in the dining area." Envy replied.

Quickly as she could, Diamond pushed past the doors and into the dining area. Her friends were not far behind. To her dismay, she watched her mom being harassed by two customers. "Get off me you creep!" she snapped. "Where you goin baby? Just slow it down for us!" one of them said. "I'm not interested now let go of me!" she shouted. "Oh c'mon you know you enjoy it." the other said, putting his hands on her. The stench of alcohol lingered in the room. "GET OFF ME!" she shouted again. No one was doing anything to help her.

Seeing this, Diamond was fueled with anger. She ran over to her mother's aid and punched one of the guys square in the nose. He fell back, away from Rouge. The other one let go of Rouge and ran in the other direction. Her friends were shocked to see their friend like this. The first guy looked at Diamond who spread her wings so wide, she almost blocked out the light from the guy's view. "D-Don't hurt me please!" he begged.

Picking him up by his shirt collar, she brought him up to her level. "Don't. Ever. Touch. My. Mom. Again." she warned. "I-I won't! I swear!" he said, trembling. Diamond then dropped him and lowered her wings. "Get out." she snapped. Once she said that the guy ran off, tail tucked between his legs.

When he was gone, Diamond took in a deep breath and relaxed. She turned around, everyone looking at her. But the only one she was focused on was her mom. "D-Diamond?" Rouge asked out loud in shock. "H-Hey, mom! I-I'm back!" she sighed. In surprise, Rouge walked up slowly to her daughter, putting her hands on both sides of her head. "Uh, mom?" she asked.

"Oh Diamond!" Rouge gasped, hugging her child tightly. "I thought I lost you!" she cried. "Oh, mom! We had always planned to come back!" she reassured. When Rouge wiped away tears, she noticed the others walking up to her. "Oh my gosh... guys!" she cried happily, rushing up to hug them all. "Hey, Aunt Rouge!" Midnight chuckled going to hug her. "Ey Aunt Rouge!" Smoke replied. "Oh, it's so good to see someone like you guys!" Rouge cried. "We missed you guys!" Fade responded. "I thought you'd never come back!"

"Us? Never come back? HA! Never. This is our home! We'll always come back to Darkside." Mystic reassured her. "I'm so glad to hear. Surprisingly... they've all been worried. Everyone in Darkside wondered what to do. We become so weakened that... I haven't been able to stand up for myself." Rouge sighed. Diamond sighed and hugged her mother tightly. "I promise you this time mom... never again am I leaving you along like this." Diamond sighed.

"Oh, hun... I'm just happy you're home." Rouge sighed. After one more hug, it struck Midnight that she hadn't heard about her dad. "Oh! Aunt Rouge, how's my dad?" she urged. "Oh Midnight, you honestly came just in time. All of you did. I... I was starting to get depressed. Let's just say everyone else is about the same..." she sighed. 

The friends looked at each other in shock and realized they had to get going. "Aunt Rouge, thank you so much! I'm sorry we only got to see each other briefly! But... God knows I need to get to my dad..." Midnight sighed. Rouge smiled and hugged her. "Don't worry. I understand completely. Now go get him sugar!" she supported. Together, Mystic, Fade, Smoke, and Midnight all headed out the door. Diamond started to follow them but quickly turned back to look at her mother.

Hesitant to leave her, she walked towards Rouge once more. "Mom..." she cried. All Rouge could do was smile and touch her daughter with one cheek. "Diamond, I'll always be here! I know you'll return. Your friends need you. Now go!" she reassured, chuckled as she patted her shoulder. "Thanks mom. I love you!" she shouted as she was quickly out the door.

"Love you too, my Diamond."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now on the other side of town, they crossed a pathway to another building. Other citizens began to go into what looked like a club. "Huh, I guess your dad extended his hours." Fade told Mystic. "Well... I guess I can't blame him." Mystic replied sadly. "C'mon, he needs to see you!" Smoke told him frantically. He nodded and all of them ran inside the building. Inside the building, there was a crowd of teens and young adults looking for a thrill.

Many were drinking, singing, and dancing. All five were frustrated pushing through the crowds, getting no lick finding Infinite anywhere. "Ugh! This is impossible! I can't even see him!" Fade whined trying to jump up and look for any black and white fur.

"Maybe he's not even out here. He could be in his office!" Mystic realized. "Well... what are we gonna do! I can't even fly up to see him!" Diamond replied. "She's not wrong! I can't believe there's no gathering around anywhere. I mean the only thing exciting thing here so far is just the music!" Midnight shouted. It crossed Mystic that there was open mic night on certain nights. "Wait, Diamond, Fade, you remember those hats you left in the back rooms when we were kids?" he asked. Both looked at each other and nodded their heads. "Yeah, why?" Fade asked.

A smile formed across his face and he chuckled. "I think I have an idea."