Chapter 57

A buzz snapped Reaper awake as he looked left and right wondering who was coming in. Scourge sat up and saw the ones in charge of his meals come into the room. He groaned and sat up in bed to hide Reaper. "Alright, eat up!" the guard snapped as he slammed a tray onto his desk. "Knock on the door when you're finished!" Scourge quickly rushed through his meal. He looked around the corner and saw a guard and one of the caretakers outside the door. "Okay, we need to be sneaky, you need to head out and go towards the nearest hospital! Rouge should be there. Be careful though, no telling what those other guys are gonna do."

Reaper nodded his head and hid under a pile of napkins that Scourge crumpled up. "I'll be here until they figure out something different to do with me. Don't do anything I would do." he warned the little Chao. The guards and a servant came into the cell to retrieve the dishes he had received to take them away to clean. Scourge lay there on his bed waiting for them to leave while watching the scene unfold.

The guards and servants suspected nothing as they left the room with everything that they took. The guards locked up the cell as the servant went back upstairs to where their kitchen was.  Still, no suspicion as Reaper stayed perfectly still. The servant reached the kitchen and approached the trashcan to dispose of all the contents. Reaper fell in and sneezed as he fell in without the servant even noticing. When they were gone, Reaper crawled out before heading to the nearest window that was available. He squeezed out from underneath the small opening that was there and happily flew off to find Rouge wherever she was.

...

Knuckles dropped off a few bags in the house where he and Misty lived. Rouge shyly held her arm while quickly observing the new place she was staying in. Her mind was scattered as she wondered about what could happen between her and Knuckles. Obviously, it had been years since they had made that deal as young adults but she never thought it would become a reality. Still, she wasn't about to let a silly little promise push her around. "So, I'll show you where you can stay while you're here! I'm sorry if the place is a bit messy, Misty and I have been busy lately so we've had a bunch of takeout! I've been meaning to clean since."

Rouge then noticed what he meant from the Chinese takeout boxes and plastic food containers on the coffee table. Then on a table with a lamp, she saw a few cups that looked slightly dirty. She scoffed as she moved a piece of fur out of her eye. "I see you haven't changed that much. You are still not tidy. Honestly, I'm not surprised. You were never one for cleanliness." she noted. Knuckles scoffed and moved one more item out of the way before heading to the back. In another section, of the house, there was a bedroom where the door was closed. It was a nicer room compared to what Rouge had seen before.

"It's not much but it'll do! If you want extra stuff in here I'll try my best but this is it for now. I'll leave your stuff right here," Knuckles put the small bag she had on the ground. He backed away to the door as Rouge entered inside looking around. "It'll do. I've had worse..." she sighed. He sighed and looked down at his watch. "Listen, I'll be back! I've gotta help the Council with some things but I'll be back! Make yourself at home. I'm sure Misty will be back home soon but for now, it's just you! Cya!" Knuckles told her as he then headed out of the house. Rouge relaxed her shoulders as she took in her new living space.

Definitely, she wasn't ready to deal with her new position in a relationship. Except they shook on a deal they made. And Rouge doesn't break deals. Even ones from years ago. And evidently from those that gave her a concussion.

As she settled down, Reaper flew around and darted around town looking for the hospital. He was having no luck but something else caught his eye.

A flash of pink grabbed his attention as he saw it through a window. Curiously, he flew to the window where he saw it. He crawled to the window looking through it and saw Rouge shyly unpacking the single bag Knuckles gave her. She unpacked clothes that Knuckles had gone out with her to buy and she put them in a drawer in her room along with other small items he got her. Reaper excitedly backed away before flying right into the stiff glass. Rouge jumped in surprise hearing the sudden splat.

"What the-" she began. She turned to her side only to see a black and red blob on the window. She approached it and opened it up to see Reaper casually falling off of it. She caught the little Chao as he began to recover from this impact. "Oh my gosh..." she gasped. Reaper shook himself out and gazed up at his friend with loving eyes. He recognized Shadow's best friend even from a distance. "You're Shadow's little friend. The little Chao he adopted a few years back," she realized. Then she noticed the little necklace he wore around his neck. She lifted the charm to see better. "And they're still waiting for us! I knew they were fighting for us." she smiled.

Happily, Reaper nuzzled Rouge who giggled. "I'm so happy I have someone at last. I'm not sure how you found me but I'm glad you did." Together they sat in her room wondering what their next move would be. Just as she began to have a real conversation with a little Chao, the door to the house opened before shutting. "Oh shit, his daughter's home. We've gotta hide you." she told him. She opened up the closet and placed him inside somewhere neither of them would see in case they happened to come in.

Then she casually walked out of the room to see Misty who came inside and dropped her backpack off on the ground near the front door. She kicked off her shoes and yawned. "Dad I'm home!" she shouted. Shyly Rouge walked out while folding her arms. Misty's eyes widened as she saw her former friend's mom standing there in her house. Surprised, she backed away while holding herself. "What... What the hell..? What are you doing here?!" she asked startled. Rouge struggled to find words as she looked over at the ruby-red echidna. "Your... Your dad picked me up from the hospital. He apparently went out to settle some stuff at work. I'm not sure how long I'll be here for... but yeah, that's pretty much it." she told her. Misty blinked in confusion but then shook her head.

"Why the hell would he want you here? I mean... no offense and everything but aren't you- in trouble? Again no offense! I just live here. I'll try to get along and everything 'cause really I feel guilty about everything that's happened to you guys and I'll try to be nice-" Misty continued to rant as Rouge stood there confused. "And look I'm really sorry about not giving your daughter, their other kids a chance like I should've because I was chicken- but I'm trying my best here okay?! Life is hard enough as it is! I'm just out here trying to make it by yet no one cares how I feel so here we here! I'm ranting! I can't believe I'm ranting. I should stop. Anyways, how can I help you settle in?"

Slightly annoyed, Rouge shook her head. "You're Knuckles' kid?" she asked. Somewhat confused, Misty nodded her head slowly. "Who's your mom then?"

Misty walked over to a portrait and pointed to her mother. She was another echidna with pink quills and magenta eyes. "I don't know too much about her. I think I was six when she died. I hope she's okay now... the sickness was really bad. But dad says he wasn't sure that they would've lasted as a couple. It didn't bother me that much since I didn't remember much. But... it does hurt to see my dad all alone. How about you? Do you have anyone?" she asked Rouge. The pearl-white bat lowered her head and looked down ashamed.

"His name was Kyle... He died while Diamond struggled to get better from the sickness. Thankfully she was fine but... he didn't survive... Not that it mattered. Kyle never stuck around long enough to give us quality time. It is what it is." she sighed. Misty poked her shoe into the floorboard. Obviously, she felt awkward around Rouge but didn't wanna make things worse for her as it was. That's when she noticed the bonds that kept her wings intact. "Oh my gosh! Did my dad do that?!" she exclaimed worriedly. "N-No... Not exactly. It wasn't his idea but he didn't object to it either."

"Why though? Where are you gonna go off to?"

"Back to Dark Side."

"Now why would you wanna go back there? It's so dull. I mean other than the ones who live there- yet there's nothing over there! It's just a depressing town with like- nothing in it! Honestly, if I was my dad I would just let you fly. I know I wouldn't waste my time going back there if I could help it." 

Feeling somewhat offended, Rouge recoiled as her ear twitched annoyed. "That dull and depressing town is where my daughter is. That's where I've lived for almost the rest of my adulthood. Don't talk to me about giving me my own freedom when you know nothing about me or anything that your father and the others have done." she snapped and walked off to her bedroom. She slammed the door with a bit of force that took Misty off guard. She sighed and lowered her head.

"Me and my big fat mouth..."