Chapter 52

"Do you have to flash that thing in my eyes?!"

The nurse recoiled timidly as she turned off the small light she used to check Rouge's eyes. "I-It's a standard procedure for your condition." the nurse replied. "Well, I can see just fine thank you very much! Honestly the fact that you're helping me makes me nauseous enough. Get it out of my face!" she snapped as she smacked the light out of her hand. The nurse took a deep breath before bending over to get the light. Just then there was a knock on the door. The nurse stood up and walked to the door to see who it was.

"Oh! Captain Knuckles! Thank goodness you're here," the nurse said as she walked out of the room and went out to talk. "Is everything okay? How is she?" Knuckles questioned intently. "If I'm being honest, she's just as Mobius remembers her. Rude and inconsiderate. But otherwise, she's been very lonely here... We've noticed tear stains on her face when some of the other nurses come in to check on her at night. Coming here to this town hasn't helped her condition at all. It's putting more stress on her which isn't good for concussion recovery. I'm not sure what to do. She hasn't been cooperative at all." the nurse explained. Knuckles sighed and thanked her for help. "I'll deal with her from here. Is she okay to go outside?" he questioned. The nurse nodded approving Rouge's dismissal.

Knuckles then walked into Rouge's room to see her. Rouge heard the door open and rolled her eyes seeing the red echidna. "Go away." she hissed and closed her eyes. Knuckles sighed and moved closer to the bed. He took out his keys to unlock her cuffs to the bed. Rouge only noticed that he was trying to touch her. "What part of "go away" wasn't clear to you!" she shouted. The cuffs unlocked releasing Rouge's wrist.

Both pairs of eyes met each other. Rouge had no words. Knuckles held out his hand to Rouge who couldn't wrap her head around this. "Come on... I want to take you outside." he urged. Teal eyes averted her gaze and she turned around. "Sorry, not interested." she huffed, her eyes closed. Knuckles grumbled and walked over to where she facing away from him. "Listen, if you don't like it after an hour, I'll bring you back here so you can keep resting. But until then, will you at least give me a chance?" Knuckles pleaded, holding out his hand once more.

The pairs of eyes once again met with each other. Rouge stared at his hand for a little bit longer deciding what she wanted. Something about Knuckles offering his hand made her think about better times they had together. Times that she missed. Still frustrated with the red echidna, she hesitantly put her hand in his and sighed. "This better be worth it." she snapped. Knuckles smiled softly as he helped her out of bed.

Together they walked out together with the hospital watching them leave carefully. Rouge was unable to face the echidna who let her have a taste of Mobian freedom. Knuckles gently held her hand as they walked out of the hospital to the front where she barely peaked up at the sun. She felt the heat against her cheeks, causing her eyes to widen. It was one of the first times she had seen it so clearly without the endless grey clouds blocking it out. Her eyes closed as she took in a very deep breath.

Out of her own habit, she tried to stretch out her wings. But when she tried, they locked in place without budging. "Oh... Right... I'm still a prisoner..." Her shoulders relaxed as she peered down at the ground. Knuckles rubbed his thumb against Rouge's palm trying to get her to look up. "Soon. I promise you will get these removed. I'll help you get to that point." he reassured her. Rouge scoffed and snatched her hand out of his. "Please spare me." she spat, walking ahead of him. Knuckles sighed as he followed her. This is going to be harder than I thought... I guess this is what I get...

Knuckles took her to various places of Mobius that he thought were nice. He tried to bring up a conversation. However, Rouge wasn't in the mood. She ignored him throughout the whole thing. Eventually, they reached an ice cream parlor that made everything homemade. When they got there, he ordered two cones for the two of them. He handed one over to her.