Chapter 43

A whole night went by and everyone in Dark Side had stayed inside their homes. No one left for anything. When the sun came up, Midnight's eyes fluttered open and looked around her room. Diamond had taken one side of her bed. Fade had taken the other while she took the middle. Smoke, Mystic, and Ivy slept on the floor. Midnight walked out of the room. She went onto the patio looking onward onto the town.

She wiped her tears and looked down at the Chaos Emerald in her hand. Reaper found her outside. Deep down he understood the circumstances that everyone was facing. Sympathetically, he perched onto her shoulder and nuzzled her gently.

Midnight smiled faintly and returned the feeling. "Thanks, Reaper... I really needed that." Looking onward to the empty town, she sighed again. "I... I don't know what we're going to do." she choked. As she stood there, the sun flashed in their view as she let the tears stream down her face. Behind her, footsteps approached her as she turned around. Her friends were now waking up to see their friend.

Knowing they were in a lot of pain, she rushed over and each of them embraced one another in a hug. "What are we gonna do now Night?" Diamond questioned. "To be honest, I'm not sure." Ivy squirmed out of the tight hug and looked over the edge. "Strangers are coming!" she squealed as she rushed back to Mystic's side. Surprised, the five approached the edge. Every teen, preteen, and child began to approach the house with the shield still surrounding the house. "Oh wow... all of them... they barely have any family left..." Fade gasped stunned. "Well, we should talk to them! We're the only ones this town has left!" Smoke told them. They took a deep breath, headed downstairs where they walked out of the house, and Mystic took down the barrier.

Seeing that they were allowed inside, the youth of all types entered the area. Each one was just as sad and distraught as the Five. Many of them were unsure of what they were going to do moving forward. Envy, Pistol, Hypno, and Nick approached them. "Midnight, what now? There's... There's barely any adults here..." Envy asked worriedly. Opening her mouth to speak, Midnight had no words.

"How are we gonna thrive? Shadow and your other parents were the only ones who could run the town and keep outsiders out." Hypno wondered. "He's right... We barely know anything!" What else are we supposed to do?" Mystic asked.

Midnight stared back in the direction of Mobius. Anger and grief flared up in her heart knowing the true source of their pain. Mobius is still a threat. Well... I'll make sure they won't be a problem for us. Not until they give us what we deserve.

"I'm not sure! But... I think I have an idea... Everyone wait here. I'll be back, I promise." Midnight said and began to run off.  Confused, they decided to wait to hear anything new.

Rushing into a secluded part of town, holding the Chaos Emerald in hand, Midnight stopped in her tracks. She took a deep breath while carefully seizing it in her hands. "Okay... just... focus. Just like he told me..." she told herself. Reaper cocked his head curiously. Gripping it tightly at first, she let it go before it glowed brightly. "Chaos... CHAOS GUARD!" she shouted letting the light explode across the town.

Back in Mobius, Blizzard looked on while standing on his balcony at home. His heart was still broken from the night before. In his hands, he held Midnight's bandana that he managed to keep when she spent the night with him one time. He barely put it against his muzzle. Her scent was still on it. He missed her more than words could describe. But there wasn't any hope in his eyes. Midnight was the only one for him but she had made it clear she never wanted to see him again.

The green glow caught his attention and he looked over at the town. Right before his eyes, he saw a shield surrounding Dark Side in a dome-like cover. Shocked, he rushed back inside his house to find his dad pouring himself a cup of coffee. "Dad! Dad something's wrong!" he shouted as he came into the kitchen. "What is it this time?" Silver sighed as he turned to look at his son.

"Come outside! Something's wrong over in Dark Side!" Blizzard cried. Silver rolled his eyes thinking that he was overreacting but stepped out onto the balcony to see what was happening.

To his amazement, he saw the strong forcefield created by the Chaos Emerald that shielded Dark Side from Mobius.  Silver dropped the coffee mug in his hand. It smashed on the hard ground, breaking into multiple pieces. "I... I could've sworn we had all seven Chaos Emeralds!" he said quietly to himself. Not thinking about it, he raced back into the house to gather a few things before rushing out the door. Blizzard meanwhile was stunned by his reaction and immediately was concerned.

Knowing his dad wouldn't be back for a couple of hours, he decided to take a risk. Grabbing the keys to his own car, he carefully drove out of the house to make sure no one saw him leave. Once in the clear, he headed straight to Dark Side.

...

Blizzard finally reached the edge of Dark Side where the border first started. He slowed down in his car trying not to make a lot of noise. Eventually, he came to a halt and looked at the shield. It glowed brightly, showing the reflection of everything in front of it. Blizzard carefully walked towards it not knowing what to think about it. There wasn't anyone around from what he could see. Knowing that he approached the shield.

Clearly, it was a defense strategy. But why was his dad so worried about it? He continued to be cautious about it. Then as he reached the shield worriedly, he reached out with his hand to touch the shield. Right when his fingers barely made contact, a shock seared through his body. It made him cry out before he was sent back flying. The shield flickered a few times before returning to normal. Stunned by what just happened, Blizzard took off his glove. His fingers already had small burns from the shock.

The power from the single Chaos Emerald was powerful enough to reject anyone that came in contact with it. Now he understood why his father was so worried. Dark Side had completely shut themselves off to Mobius. That meant everyone. Including him.

They made themselves clear.

They never wanted to see any Mobian ever again.