Chapter 64

From the safety of the high school that the town was using as a safe house, they gathered everyone into it for their own well-being. Sally and Tangle managed to get them to the school before it was too late. The Mobian teens sat there amongst several others who were in there.

None of them were expecting what had been happening so far to be happening. Of course, when does anyone expect a robot attack? They sat there together realizing that this was from the Dark Side teens who were in shock. "I had no idea that they'd do something like this..." Finn murmured under his breath. He was scared and had Hunter trying to calm him down. Melany fidgeted in her spot, scared to death about what her mothers were dealing with on the battlefield. "Hey, don't worry. It'll be okay." Ruby told her. "How could any of this be okay..? We're gonna die!" Melany whispered.

Typhoon gave her a look. "Melany, stop being dramatic! It's our parents that are fighting those freaky things! We've got nothing to worry about!" he replied happily. "To be honest I wish we could be a part of the fight. I wanna do something interesting for once!" Catrina told the group. "Please, it'd probably be a very lame fight. Our parents are already mad at us for enough things." Hunter told them. "That's very true. I mean what are we even supposed to do?" Sunny questioned. "We've got no skills so I say we keep low!" Hannah sighed and leaned on Curd's shoulder. Curd sighed and looked over at Blizzard. "What do you think Blizzard?"

Blizzard shrugged. "They can't act so surprised. They've been asking for trouble since we cut off Dark Side. There's nothing we can do now." he replied, trying to hide his inner pain.

Curd's ears fell down completely knowing his friend was hurt. "I'm sorry about everything. I hope she forgives you." he said to him. Blizzard's ears perked and he smiled at him. "Thanks a lot, Curd, it means a lot!"

They looked to the side to check on Misty. But when they looked over at their side, they saw Misty was gone. "Where... Where did she go?" Blizzard asked panicked. Curd frantically looked around wondering that same thing. He scanned the room and saw the flash of red leave the cafeteria where everyone was staying. "Misty!" Curd yelled as he got up to chase after her. "Curd wait!" Blizzard shouted as he chased after the young rabbit. Sunny glanced up and noticed what was going on. She got up to chase after them wondering what was going on. Seeing them begin to leave, Tangle raced over and grabbed Curd by his arm. "Hey hey, where you going? Are you aware that there's a whole robot fight out there?" she exclaimed, holding onto Curd. "Yeah, I do. B-But- I... I just... I just have..." he began, trying to find the words. Blizzard caught up to him out of breath. "Tangle, we need to go now! Misty just left the cafeteria!" he exclaimed.

Panicked, Tangle waved over to Sally who started walking over. "What's wrong?" she asked. "It's Knuckles, kid, she ran off. Again," Tangle sighed. Sally inhaled deeply before giving a long exhale. She was obviously frustrated with the young echidna. "Oh my god, Knuckles is going to kill us. Okay, this is what we're gonna do. Gadget!"

Her watch alerted her as she was connected with the wolf. "Go for Gadget! But please make it quick! I'm in the middle of combat!" he cried. "Continue what you're doing, but don't tell Knuckles this. Misty is on the loose! I need someone to find her! Get her and bring her back to the high school when you can! Please! No one wants to die today!" There was a crash over the watch before Gadget answered. "Alright! I'll try my best! Why the hell did she leave?! Agh... Oh well, I'll try my best! I'm caught up trying to get these enemies to stay away from the main center! Keep everyone else inside! Over and out!"

Tangle shook her head in disbelief. "He's got a point. Why would she leave suddenly?"

...

Misty rummaged through her dad's office looking for a key. The whole office was a mess as she turned over everything not leaving anything left. Moving a piece of paper away, she found the key. Yes! Now I have to head downtown before it's too late!

Running out the door, she began running all the way to the heat of the battle. She had to avoid the robots that managed to get away from the public. She had Knuckles' strength so there was little Misty had to worry about. Misty kept running and punching through things just to get where she wanted to be.

"ROUGE!" she shouted into the chaos. There obviously wasn't a response. Mobians were running away from the destruction unlike her. Many of them were doing anything they could to get away. "ROUGE!" she shouted again. Maybe this was a mistake! For all I know, she could've gone back to Mobian High to get away from this! I can't say that I blame her! Just as she was thinking about running back, a robot blocked her path, making her fall. She sat on the ground watching the robot loom over her. It made a few sounds while staring down at her like a target. Misty quickly got up to start running away but it grabbed her from behind, picking her up off the ground. "HEY! LET GO OF ME!" she shouted.

"LET GO!" she shouted again, banging her fists against the armored metal. The robot began to squeeze harder around Misty's waist. Misty began shrieking at the top of her lungs. It was a painful grip that was held around her. Even from a distance Knuckles heard his daughter's screams. He knew Misty's voice anywhere. He looked up from pushing the biggest robot enough to see another robot squeezing her to death. Manic looked up and managed to see the same thing. By doing so, they both lost their footing and slipped.

The one they had been trying to hold back broke through a blockade and began plowing through buildings. While most tried to run away, Mephiles stood there in shock. He held onto Silver who stirred. Somehow he heard what the robot had done. Weakly he pulled a remote out from his pocket. He pressed a button and dropped it, his arm dangling weakly. Mephiles gasped lightly feeling the collar he wore fall off his neck and hit the ground. His dark entity powers came back to him, forming a circle around both him and Silver. "Go... Help them..." Silver whispered weakly. "Please... I'm sorry..." Silver started going limp. "Hey, hey! Stay with me okay?!" Mephiles cried. He made the shadows wrap around him protectively, then formed a dark orb around him, keeping him safe from the chaos.

Mephiles looked down at his hands and slightly trembled. Then he formed a pair of fists before levitating off the ground and going into battle. Knuckles and Manic were having trouble getting back into position, unable to stop the Mega machine from pushing forward. Just as they fell again, Mephiles made multiple shadows wrap around it, keeping it in place. Knuckles and Manic caught their breath seeing their old enemy helping them from getting crushed. He was straining but it wasn't nearly as difficult.

"Don't just stand there! We're getting crushed here!" Mephiles shouted to them. All three of them began pushing back. But Knuckles was slightly more distracted. Rouge noticed this and cried out to Misty. "Misty!"

The young girl cried and tried prying it apart. But it wasn't working. "Scourge, get me up there!" Rouge pleaded. Scourge ignored her and began to climb onto the robot's machinery to rip out the panels to get inside. After a couple of minutes, the robot crashed and released Misty, making her fall down towards the cement ground. Infinite groaned and caught the young girl. Rouge raced over and helped Misty recover. "You okay hun?"

Misty nodded her head rapidly in relief. More buildings began to collapse as the robot pushed through. Knuckles and Manic fell to the side from exhaustion. Mephiles at this point began running out of mental strength. The power he had was beginning to fade out.

Rouge stared out and gasped feeling the heavy restraints fall off her wings. She began to stretch them out feeling the light weight on her shoulders. She glanced over her shoulder to see Misty still holding the key. "Help us, please! We're not strong enough on our own! I know we don't owe you anything but, I promise to help you if you help us!" Scourge and Infinite felt the collar and bracelets slide off them as they turned around to see Gadget standing nearby. "Just once, that's all we ask!"