Roster Page 2

(2) Edward

                           Edward is an ex-Great North of Scotland Railway V[LNER D40} class 4-4-0, designed by William Pickersgill for fast passenger workings. Locomotive number 113 would be the first of the V class engines to emerge from Neilson, Reid & Co's works in 1899,. For 15 years he would serve the Great North of Scotland, running services from Aberdeen to Kieth and Elgin with his siblings, and other 4-4-0's on the line. However, in 1914 the NWR would request an engine from the GNoSR to assist with running trains during the wartime increase, the GNoSR chose to send 113 due to his  age and experience. Edward would arrive on April 3rd, and would be sent strait to work alongside NER 599 on the mainline hauling supply trains, and ambulance trains. During one of his turns taking one of the ambulance trains, on the night of july 16th, 1916, number 113 would almost become a casualty of war when an air raid on Sodor would see the  locomotive and his consist chased and shot at until reaching Ballahoo tunnel , the damages incurred in this incident would result in number 113 being out of action until early 1918 when the proper materials became available for his repairs.. For the next 4 years Edward would take the mixed traffic role, but would primarily pull the early "Wild nor' Wester" services until large motive power was sourced, from that point onward he would spend a year and a half at the back of Vicarstown MPD until being reallocated to Wellsworth MPD to run the branchline with Ex-Sodor and Mainland engines numbers 4 and 5, and from there, his story  would be history.