Roster Page 14

(14) Charlie

                        Charlie is a Manning Wardle K class 0-6-0st, built in 1897 for the Wellsworth and Suddery railway as their number 5 to be used on their light goods, stopping passenger, and industrial shunting operations.  During his early years, Charlie was a rather foolish prankster, never taking his work as seriously as he should've, and this would lead to him getting into trouble frequently, and eventually in 1914, 1 year before the NWR would form, he was put on permanent shunting duties at Wellsworth, at the time there wasn't a large amount of trains coming through, and as such Charlie would end up sitting in the sheds for months. However in 1916, the NWR board of directors acknowledged the need of a station pilot at Knapford, and acknowledge the vacant schedule of the W&S's number 5, and after promising to take his work seriously, Charlie was sent to Crovans Gate, where he would be painted in a purple livery, with white lining, and a yellow number 14 bolted to his saddle tank, the first few months since his return to service, he wasn't well received by the residents who knew of his work ethic, but after multiple apologies and early departing trains, he was forgiven by the other engines. And from there, the rest would be history. During his working career, Charlie would be Assigned to Suddery MPD at first, Wellsworth MPD, and would find permanent allocation at Knapford MPD.