Roster Page 15

(15) Peter

                       Peter is an ex London Midland and Sottish railway 8F class 2-8-0, designed by William Stanier to handle the heavy goods trains in the region. Peter was apart of the first order of 8F's produced at Crewe works, bearing the number 8102 on his cabside Peter was put through his paces on the heaviest trains on the LMS at the time, even standing in for one of his brothers  on the heavy iron ore trains. However, in late 1939, the NWR placed an order for one of the LMS 8F class member, and Peter just so happened to be passing through Euston at the time, and was sent by Sir William Stanier himself to the Island of Sodor. When the big engine arrived he caused quite a stir as most of the goods engines at the time, not only for being the first 2-8-0 to be outright purchased by the NWR, (Most of the goods engines at the time still hadn't acquired as quickly), but also for speaking in a thick Northern British accent, something most engines on the NWR at the time had never heard much before.  After a few communication related mishaps, Peter was soon well embedded into the NWR family, becoming the Mainlines primary goods engine. Upon coming to the NWR, Peter would be based permanently to Tidmouth MPD, being given his current black livery with red stripes, yellow window lining, and numbers there. And the rest would become history.