Roster Page 19

(19) Murdoch

                               Murdoch is a humble British Railways 9F class 2-10-0 freight locomotive designed by Robert Riddles to handle heavy coal and ore trains over the national network. Murdoch was built at Crewe works in 1954, being apart of the first group of 9F's to use the BR1F tenders, being given the number 92012 when completed, the big engine underwent the usual trials and testing. However, his time spent near Crewe for testing exposed him to a fair few Scottish speakers, and when 92012 finally came to the Eastern Region he certainly left his mark, constantly hauling the heaviest of coal and ore trains up and down the country side, and putting some of the larger express engines to shame whenever he had to cover for them. Unfortunately though, things weren't always positive for the 9F in the Eastern Region. One of the flaws which constantly played up on 92012 was his introverted personality, the big engine liked to be alone and at peace rather than being shanghaied onto crowded and loud passenger services. Eventually, some time in 1957 after the modernsation plan went public, 92012 was purchased outright by the NWR, which at the time was transitioning into a steam haven,  to help bolster the Heavy Freight fleet, (which consisted of engines like Hank and Neville). Upon arrival, the big 9F got into an accident involving some sheep on the line, and some discord in the sheds, but soon proved himself to be a reliable and efficient member of the fleet, earning his name at a ceremony celebrating Sudrian history. In 1961, a BR1G tender was brought in for the 9F while his original BR1F tender was sent for repairs at the works, and is due to be returned to him soon. Murdoch has seen himself allocated to Knapford MPD, frequently in use on the heavier fish trains, and the mineral trains brought down from Ffarquhar. When he first arrived, Murdoch was painted i BR black, but chose an orange livery with green stripes and the number 19, which previously had no engine to claim it.