Roster Page 48

(48) Duke

                            Duke is an Ex-Great Western Railway 3700 'City' class 4-4-0, designed by George. J. Churchward and manufactured at Swindon works from 1902 to 1903. In September 1901, locomotive number 3405 'Mauritius' was completed at Swindon works and rolled out as the 6th member of the 'Atbara' class. While originally being put to work on the various passenger workings along the GWR's network, that didn't stop 3405 from ending up on various pick up goods, and mixed goods trains, from time to time. Things remained like this until  September 1902, when 3405 was reboilered with what would become George. J. Churchward's standard No.4 boiler. Following this experiment, 'Mauritius' would be renumbered to 3705, being one of the first 'City' class engines, and he would reap the reward of a noticeable performance boost. However, in 1904, the Skarloey Railway would once again turn to the GWR for their motive power needs, and would end up purchasing 2 of their 4-4-0's for a planned express passenger service, with 3705 and former classmate number 3404, 'Lyttleton' being the engines purchased. Upon arrival to the SKR, the 2 engines would be renamed, with 'Mauritius' being named 'Duke', after the long lineage of monarchs that led Sodor over the years. Over the next 9 years, Duke would form strong bonds with the people and engines along the route, even forming a fatherly bond with the SKR's number 3 'Sir Handel', (despite not being able to instill sense into the arrogant caledonian). However, in 1913, Duke would get into an accident at the Ward Fell coal mines, which would see the tender engine trapped after an earthquake destabilized the site, with the  the engine being lost for 11 months until the railway was able salvage him from the site, he would be taken to Crovans Gate promptly for repairs, and some rest for his mental health, as being trapped and unable to see for so long had given the engine a bad case of claustrophobia. Following the formation of the NWR in 1915, Duke would live a largely calm life, pulling the lines dining services and passenger services come rain or shine and mentouring  the younger engines. For most of his time on the SKR, Duke would retain his GWR livery, until gaining his brown livery with yellow stripes in 1906, in 1958, during the NWR's large scale renumbering scheme, Duke would be given the number 48, and would gain a touchup on his old livery. He would always remain allocated to the main sheds at Crovan's gate.