Roster Page 9/10

(9/10) 

           Donald and Douglas, are twin Ex- Caledonian railway 652 class tender engines designed by John F. McIntosh for freight work, and passenger work on occasion.  Donald and Douglas where the last two 652's to be built, being constructed in 1910 during a boost in traffic, while 646,(Donald), had their construction started first, both 646 and 647, (Douglas) were finished and steamed up on June 10th of 1910. For the next 25 years they worked hard on the CR, always completing every job on time, whether it be plowing or passenger work,  and never being separate, however upon the formation of the LMS, the railway's management had noticed the inefficiency of having the two double head so often, try as they might however, 646 and 647 continued to work together until June 10th 1935, (their 25th birthday). On that fateful day the NWR had decided to purchase 646 for their good services, however, they didn't want purchase 647, and to add to their situation, the LMS had wanted to withdraw them both soon, and now with 646 sold, 647 would've been easy pickings. Luckily for the twins, a visiting Midland Railway 3835 had took pity on their situation, and had decided to give them the idea of making an escape, after much planning, the twins enacted the plan by double heading a goods train, and uncoupling the goods when passing through a station, speeding off to Barrow, after they arrived, the rest would be history.  

              Throughout their years, Donald and Douglas would always be seen in a drab black paint scheme, however upon arrival on the NWR, they were given red and white lining, as well as the traditional yellow cab windows and number. They were first allocated to Tidmouth MPD for a time, however they now cycle between Tidmouth MPD, Arlesburgh MPD, and Vicarstown MPD due to their status as utility engines.