Roster Page 25

(25) Bert

                      Bert is an ex-GNR O2/2 class 2-8-0 consolidation, designed by Sir Nigel Gresley with 3 cylinders for mineral workings on the GNR's mainline, acting as a development of the earlier O1 class.  Number 478 was built at Doncaster in 1921,  being the 17th member of the O2 class, and had a fairly normal reception into the GNR's fleet. However, 478 was unintentionally forced to grow up way faster than any sentient being was supposed to when some of his later siblings proved to be unruly, and the shedmaster's were having a hard time keeping them under control with their tricks. But being a member of their class, 478 was better able to get through to those unruly members, and would unfortunately be required to act as their guiding figure, something which wore him down significantly faster, due to him having to act as a barrier whenever a younger O2 would pick a fight with another engine. By the time the NWR would come looking for 2 mineral engines fromm the LNER in early 1929,  478 would be very exhausted from his experiences, and would be nominated to go to the NWR by his shedmaster. Though unsure on whether to go or not, his other shedmates,  and some of his siblings who had taken his advice to heart, promised to take over where he left off, and so 478 would eventually arrive on Sodor for work in 1929, running mineral trains from the Anopha fell mines onwards to destinations along the national network. However, after roughly 2 years, 478 would begin to suffer from steaming problems brought on by his forced aging, and would begin to be used less and less, until one day in 1933 when 'Mike' broke an axle in a derailment, leaving 478 the only viable option to fill in, and despite steam leaks and a very noticeable issue with his drafting, 478 would succeed in the task, and would eventually get to chose his new name, 'Bert'. Throughout his time on the NWR, Bert has always been allocated to Arlesburgh MPD, and has been wearing his iconic dark blue livery since the 1930s.