Roster Page 21

(21) Hank

                        Hank is a USATC s160 class 2-8-0 heavy freight engine, designed by Maj. J. W. Marsh for export to European railways to haul heavy goods trains. Hank was one of many USATC consolidatons built to run on the railways of europe, being shipped over to the island of Sodor and assigned to the NWR in 1943 to assist with he extreme workload and the loss of an engine. When Hank first arrived, he was relatively calm and collected compared to some of the other engines who had come during the war, being relatively quieter than them. However this became one of his greatest strengths as he was a good listener, combining the fact that he had a strong sense of courage and patience, Hank was quick to become well known among the NWR's staff, engines, and the Sudrian people. Upon the end of the war, Hank, and some of the other war brought engines, were purchased permanently by the NWR for their use, Hank becoming a member of the heavy freight pool. Throughout his time on the NWR, Hank wore a USATC grey, and started out based at Tidmouth MPD, however, in the mid 50's, he assisted in saving a stranded family during one of the many Christmas storms, and as such was given a name, and a coat of dark blue as a reward, and being assigned to operate out of either Tidmouth MPD, or Vicarstown MPD, showing one wheel turn after the other that Yankie engines aren't to be underestimated.