Roster Page 36

(36) Sam

                   Sam is an Ex-War Department 2-10-0 decapod, designed by Robert riddles to handle heavy wartime goods traffic during WWII. Sam was built at the North British Locomotive Company in 1943,  and was immediately shipped off to Sodor with 3 of his siblings to supply aid to the island after the blitz. Upon his arrival, Sam didn't speak much with the other engines, mainly choosing to put his smokebox to the ground and get work done. However, he started to form a bond with a  smaller sentinel shunter, who helped to break him out of his shell somewhat, and form connections with the other mainline engines. However, in 1944, an unexploded bomb had been uncovered in the remains of a building at Vicarstown, when it was loaded up into an open wagon, the explosive device was set alight by a clumsy workman. The 2-10-0 made a spir of the moment decision, and tried to push the wagon far away from Vicarstown, but it detonated roughly 1 mile after he left the station, scarring the left of his face and permanently crippling 1 eye. Upon arrival, Sam was allocated to Tidmouth MPD, but would find himself briefly reallocated to Knapford MPD during an increase of fish trains in 1959, but has since returned and become one of the most prominent heavy freight engines on the roster. While the big warborn engine could be a bit rough around the edges, he has since relaxed and adjusted to post war life, determined to help wherever he can. Sam wears a weathered dark green livery, with black lining and an airpump on the side of his smokebox.