Roster Page 42

(42) Duncan

                         Duncan is an Ex-London Midland and Scottish railway 2F class dock tank, designed by Sir Henry Fowler for dock shunting. 11276 was built in 1928 at derby works, being the 6th member of the class to roll out of the works, and would be sent to Greenock (ladyburn) MPD to shunt the port located near by. Though he originally rolled out of Derby with a good attitude and clean language, he soon absorbed the foul language and plain speaking manners of the engines stationed there. Just after being renumbered by the London Midland and Scottish to number 7106, the North Western Railway approached the London Midland and Scottish  about purchasing the young dock tank in an effort to ease the workload on the Skarloey branch line, and the London Midland and Scottish railway agreed to the deal, with number 7106 being brought to the island on the return flying kipper run. Upon arrival to the island, the small dock tank initially proved to be  a very foul mouthed and troublesome engine, most infamously striking the top of the tunnel mouth, and damaging it. However, after Skarloey had a word with the now yellow scot, he soon became less troublesome, but still kept his foul mouth. Since coming to the North Western, Duncan has worn his signature yellow with black stripes, and can be seen allocated to Crovans Gate MPD, usually complaining.