Roster Page 40

(40) Peter Sam 

                              Peter Sam is a Hunslet Engine Company 18in 0-6-0ST, designed and built by the company for industrial use. Peter Sam was built in 1937, as the NWR sought to further develop it's fleet on the main and branch lines, and was delivered on the 5th of  February that year. Upon arrival, Peter Sam, named after a member of the board, would be sent straight to Crovans Gate works to receive his livery, and would be assigned to work alongside Sir Handel. Almost immediately after meeting the pair would form a close brotherly bond, with Peter Sam seeing Sir Handel as an older brother figure,  being taught how to handle trucks and coaches with ease by the blue saddletank. Some time in 1939, Peter Sam would lose his original funnel to the tunnel in Skarloey valley, and would gain a replacement funnel which he wasn't initialy fond of. However, with some kind and encouraging words from Sir Handel and Duke, the green saddletank grew to like it, and called it his 'Special funnel'. Since his arrival, Peter Sam has always been seen allocated to crovan's gate MPD, having the most noticeable welsh accent of the engines allocated there, and is often used on the dining services, and hauling the fish trains from Lakeside, and the future extension will likely see more work for the saddle tank.