Roster Page 30

(30) Ferdinand 

                               Ferdinand is an Ex-S&DJR 7F 2-8-0 Consolidation, designed by Henry Fowler to haul heavy coal and goods trains on the Somerset and Dorset. Number 83 was built at the Midland Railway's derby works as part of the 1914 7F batch, and would be sent to the S&DJR promptly after awakening. Upon arrival to the line, 83 would find himself caught in the middle of  a cultural hot spot, with engines from the MR, and practices from the LSWR dominating the stretch of line.  He would work on the S&DJR for 10 years before being bought by the NWR for work on the newly established Misty isle connection, (which took the form of a long spanning bridge linking the Isle of Sodor and Misty Isle), after an accident. Upon his arrival, Number 83 would immediately be put to the test on long goods trains coming from Misty Isle, with his hill climbing capabilities proving to be his strongest asset on the stretch. 83 would earn his name after hauling a special charter trip of future investors around Misty Isle, being christened Ferdinand by one of the more prominent investors. During his working career on the NWR, Ferdinand would e based at Caleamis MPD, closest to the capital of Misty island, and would always wear his dark blue with teal stripes with pride, as he mentors the other engines of the Misty Island connection.