Roster Page 38

(38) Skarloey

                              Skarloey is an Ex-Great Western Railway 1361 class 0-6-0ST, designed by George. J. Churchward for dock shunting and handling tighter curvature. Number 3 originally started life  out as 1 of 18 0-6-0T locomotives built by Sharp Stewart and Company for the Cornwall Minerals Railway , with each locomotive operated in pairs. Number 3 would often give trouble over being used in this fashion, and would even be sidelined in the roundhouse for his behavior, which did have the effect of improving 3's work ethic. In 1876, the Cornwall Minerals Railway would be absorbed into the Great Western Railway and 9 of the 0-6-0T's would be sold off, Number 3 included. However, instead of going to the Colne Valley and Halstead Railway Company, (as was originally intended), 3' would find himself being purchased by the Skarloey railway for use on the fledgling line, upon arrival in early 1877, number 3' would be given the name 'Skarloey', and would receive a new number 1 on the side of his saddle tank. Inbetween the 38 years of running on the Skarloey railway, Skarloey would prove time and time again his drive and care for the passengers and goods the railway, embodying the spirit the original Chairman of the Skarloey Railway, Sir Handel Lloyd Brown, had envisioned for it's engines. In 1915, upon the formation of the NWR, Skarloey would be rebuilt to the design of one of George. J .Churchward's 1361 class engines, and would continue to put his all into his work, and would be wiling to listen to anyone who needed to vent their frustrations. Upon arrival, Skarloey would be based at Crovans Gate MPD, the main sheds on the Skarloey branch, but he wouldn't get a proper NWR number until the beginning of the renumbering scheme in 1952, which saw him receive the number 38.