Roster Page 26

(26) Jock

                      Jock is an Ex-LNER V2 class 2-6-2, designed by Sir Nigel Gresley for express mixed traffic work on the LNER's mainlines. Number 4775 would be built at Doncaster in 1936, being the last member of the first batch of 5 V2's to be built that year. During his first year on the LNER, 4775 quickly acquired reputation as a determined and durable mixed traffic engine, briefly deputising an express service when an A1 failed. However, in 1937, he would wind up arriving on the NWR for work on their mainline, specifically the section from Anopha Fell onwards, as he was just light enough to fit into the Mines at Anopha. 4775 would eventually feel the need to pick out a new livery and for himself so that he could fit in better with the other engines. At first, he couldn't pick a perfect color or name, and most other engines couldn't offer much good options, at least that was the case until 4775 would encounter some fellow Scottish speakers, the Scottish twins, who suggested going for a livery akin to the older highland railway days, mentioning the nickname that livery would often come with. After finally settling on a livery and a name, 4775 entered Crovan's gate works in apple green, and left the works in a Highland railway esque yellow livery, and triumphantly announcing his name as 'Jock'. Throughout his time on the NWR, Jock has always seen allocation at Arlesburgh MPD, and  mainly works the fish trains, though he can be seen commonly on the fast goods, and sometimes deputises on the express services when Rex is away.