13

Alex took Pedro to meet Andromeda later in the evening. The went via Floo.

"Are you sure this is okay?" He asked and she nodded.

"Yes. She'd like to meet you. I think it's nice for her to know that Morgana's family weren't all cuckoo. I don't think they knew anything about her mother's side."

"And she's not evil?"

"She's Tonks's mother. You've met Tonks."

"A metamorpha?" (The shapeshifter?)

"Yeah."

"Okay."

Alex greeted Andromeda with a test.

"How do I know you're really Andromeda? Tell me something that Voldemort and his minions wouldn't know."

"You were born in this house. Your turn."

"I saw the memory of you and Morgana in the vanishing room." Alex said, and they both nodded in satisfaction. "This is Pedro. The cousin I told you about."

"Nice to meet you Pedro." Andromeda greeted. "You two should come in."

"Where's Ted?" Alex asked.

"Oh, he'll be down in a sec." Andromeda told her.

"Right, okay." Alex smiled. "Do you have your scones?"

"On the table." Andromeda laughed and Alex bounded forth.

It was Harry's birthday the next day, and her mother was throwing him a dinner. Alex wasn't allowed to uninvite herself.

"Hang on a minute." Bill stopped her as she left the kitchen. She paused and looked around, seeing the room empty. "Who's your dad?"

"The same man who raised me, and you, our whole lives."

"You know what I mean." He frowned. "At the bank, when you wanted to open a vault, you said you couldn't because you have a biological father who is a muggle and that he has a grandmother who is a witch. It's why you wanted to waive the inheritance test, right? So she wouldn't find out, because she likely had an account at Gringotts."

"He's no one. He's just a muggle. What does it matter?"

"Well, have you met him? What do you know about him?"

"This isn't really the sort of conversation I want to have in the middle of the kitchen where anyone can walk in. Let's talk about it later."

"Sure." He let it go. As if on cue, Charlie walked in.

"Oh hey." Alex greeted. "You're back. How are your dragons?"

"They're fine. Norberta's a little temperamental sometimes, but all good. How's yours?"

"Saph's fine. She has Kichiro and Rani to keep her entertained."

"Dragons and unicorns. Just normal, everyday conversation." Bill muttered and she grinned.

"Mum! Charlie's home!" Alex called. "Okay, I'm going to go. Enjoy." She slipped out of the kitchen before Molly arrived.

"Could've given me a couple minutes to relax." He said. "At least she's being nice this time. Sort of."

"I think the war's getting to her. George's lost an ear, too." Bill said. "Let me take your bags. Good luck with mum." He clapped his brother on the back and grabbed the bags.

"Bill's asking about my biological father." Alex grumbled to Hermione in Japanese. She walked into Ron's room where the trio were assembled.

"We're in the middle of something." Ron complained.

"I don't care. My thing's more important."

"More important than defeating Voldemort?"

"Yes. You'll have forever to defeat Voldemort. You guys are leaving soon, and I won't have the time to complain after then."

"Just tell the truth." Hermione advised.

"Right and when I go fake evil, Bill won't put two and two together. He is smart, you know."

"Then make something up."

"I've done that too many times."

"He's nice. Just tell him you don't want to talk about it. He won't press."

"I suppose."

"Good. Now help me pick out what books I need."

"Ooh, I forgot!" Alex ran out.

"Well that's useful." Harry muttered.

"Be nice." Hermione scolded. "You should be nicer to her. She already hates you enough."

Alex ran back soon enough. She was holding two bags.

"Here." Alex gave Hermione one. "This way you don't need to take everything. Just the essentials, and if there's anything you need, I'll get it to you."

"How?" Ron asked.

"These bags are linked." Hermione answered, studying them. "Where did  you get them?"

"At the end of a rainbow." Alex teased.

"Did you make them?" Hermione said, looking even closely at the bags.

"With Bill." She said. "So we use the mirrors to talk, and anytime you need potions, and books, and clean clothes, we use these bags to send them back and forth."

"Hermione's not taking the mirror. We can't risk it." Harry said.

"I am taking it." Hermione told him. "She already knows what we're going to be doing. Dumbledore told her. And she has a task of her own."

"Which you're not supposed to tell them."

"Yeah, whatever. The point is, Alex can help us when we're out there. Finding information, et cetera. Also, I need to know she's alive."

"I'm not going to die. I'll probably just want to."

"Not funny!" Hermione pinched her.

"Charlie's here by the way." Alex informed. "Okay, I'll leave you guys to plot your runaway plans."

"Bye!" Hermione called but Alex had darted away.

"You're really going to take your mirror with you?" Harry asked.

"Yes. I know you're worried, but Alex won't sell us out. I need to be able to keep an eye on her, and she needs to keep an eye on us. She trusted Snape more than anything."

"And Malfoy."

"She liked Malfoy, she didn't trust him. They were friends." Hermione corrected. "She knew she couldn't trust him. I'm not debating this, Harry. I'm not leaving behind the mirror. Besides, she can help us. I don't have to take all of these books. She can just send through the ones we need when we need it."

A/N- Welp, things are progressing. Four minutes to midnight, I am not getting better at time management 😭

Favourite line is "I'm not going to die. I'll probably just want to."