54

Laila met Alex at the airport, where she and Snape parted ways.

"Your hair grew out! And it looks wonderful!" Was Laila's first comment.

"Rude. My hair is wonderful, short or long."

"Short hair wasn't a choice." Laila said. "It was you losing your mind. Besides, long or not, your hair looks nicer than usual."

"Again, rude." She scowled, but gave Laila a hug anyway. Pansy and Daphne had persuaded her to go back to the salon on a hogsmeade weekend. "But I'm going to ignore the surprise in your tone."

Laila just grinned and held onto her arm and apparated her away.

"Welcome." Laila said, taking off her shoes as they reached the house. Alex, noticing the shoes stacked in the corner, followed suit. "Come on, I'll give you a short tour and show you to your room."

Laila left her along to get settled for a little while before returning.
"Dinner time. Hungry?" She asked.

"I could eat." Alex replied before following her out.

Laila led her to a dining room, and Alex's eyes immediately focused on her brother. She looked around at the table, smiled, and took a seat.

"William, what a surprise." She said.

"Good evening, sister."

"How's my sister in law?"

"She's well, thank you."

"Can't have gotten bored of her already have you? It hasn't even been a year."

"Not at all." His face dropped a little. "I'm just visiting my friend." Alex smiled at Idris who was sitting next to Bill.

"Right, sure."

"Hello." Alia walked in. "Dad's held up with work so he's unable to make it."

"Alright, let's start." Laila smiled, vanishing the extra plate with a wave of her wand.

"So Alex, did the potions I send help?" Alia asked. Bill looked at his sister, a knowing look in his eyes. Alex made a point to ignore him.

"Yeah, thanks for that. What do I owe you?"

"It's nothing." Alia said. "It was good practice."

"Are you sure? It worked perfectly."

"I'm sure." Alia said. "That's all I need."

"The ingredients couldn't have been cheap. I don't mind, and I've got the funds."

"She does. I helped her set up her personal vault." Bill nodded. Alex rolled her eyes.

"Knowing it worked well is payment enough. Besides, I logged anything I used as study material so I didn't pay a penny."

"Okay." Alex let it go. "How is your healer training going?"

"I graduate to apprentice in May." Alia answered.

"Congratulations!"

"What about you Alex?" Laila changed the subject. "I need to hear more about this Zabini situation."

"I thought your spies would've told you whatever you needed to know. Who even told you?"

"Don't worry about the who. Just tell me how that happened. Last I remember, he was an arrogant little sod."

"Yeah, that really hasn't changed."

"So why-?"

"Everyone always gets hung up on the why." Alex complained.

"Yeah, cos you're you and he's him. Last guy you went out with was Diggory. Zabini's the total opposite."

"I know, but that's not a bad thing."

"Alright. How did it happen anyways?"

"Potter almost killed Draco. Blaise and I were plotting revenge, and we admitted feelings."

"Harry almost what?" Bill asked.

"Almost killed Draco. Draco spent weeks in the hospital wing recovering." Alex said.

"Wasn't that last year?" Laila narrowed her eyes.

"Possibly."

"And I found out a couple months ago?"

"To be fair no one else knew until a couple months ago."

"How about Granger?"

"Well, except Hermione." She amended. "And only because she caught us snogging in a broom closet."

Bill pulled a face, ready for the conversation to be over. He turned to his friend and began a new conversation with Idris in an attempt to block out his sister.

He didn't get a chance to speak to Alex alone until the next day. He knocked on her door, and she stood to let him in.

"William." He scowled at the mention of his full name.

"Alexandra."

"Touché." She said.

"How- how are you?" He asked hesitantly.

"I'm great."

"We've been worried." As though he could somehow dig the truth out of her with his gaze, he stared at her.

"I'm not sure why. Ginny sees me at school all the time. I'm sure she's reporting back anything she thinks relevant. And you saw me over the Christmas break, anyway."

"So Tonks was right, you knew we were there." A breath escaped his lips and he took in his sister, properly. She looked different to what he remembered.

"I did."

"What are you doing?" He eventually chose a more direct route. "Just come home, Alex. We all miss you."

"I'm right where I belong, brother dear."

"You don't belong with the dark. I know you better than that."

"Well, maybe you don't. Maybe all you knew was a confused, manipulated version of me. Maybe this is really me. Ever think about that?"

"You're a solid liar. Really brilliant." She frowned at the weird compliment. Was it a compliment? "But we both know if your heart was really in it, you could easily have caught Hermione, Ron and Harry and delivered them to you know who."

"I don't know what you're talking about. Ron's infected with splattergroit, Hermione's run away with her parents because she was accidentally turned into a criminal, and who knows what the hell Potter's up to these days."

"Right, sure." He said, humouring her.

"I am fine, Bill. I assume that's why you're here, to talk to me alone and see if there's something wrong. There isn't. I decided to hear my grandfather out. I don't entirely disagree with him. He makes some good points." She shrugged.

"I take it back, you're a terrible liar."

"Believe what you want, but the facts are what they are. No amount of wishful thinking's going to change that."

"Alex."

"I'm tired. I think I'll get a nap in." She said, the dismissal clear in her tone. Bill looked slightly off put but nodded and left.

A/N- I've missed Laila! Favourite line is "Last I remember, he was an arrogant little sod."