41

Draco insisted they all needed new outfits, but had them sent to the manor instead of another exhausting shopping trip. She was grateful for the small mercies.

"You look fabulous." Draco complimented. "Of course, not as good as me." Alex coughed and gasped. "Are you okay?" He asked concerned, moving closer.

"I just... I can't breathe." She said. "This room is too small to fit anything other than your ego."

"Shut up." He muttered in annoyance, stepping away. Alex grinned.

"Blaise is here." Luna remarked, looking out of the window.

"Finally." Draco said, glaring at Alex. "Maybe you'll be nicer with him around."

"Right, because nice is the word that comes to mind when Blaise is around."

"I'm going to go get him." He said and left.

Alex walked over to the window where Luna was watching. Blaise stood at the door with his mother and Ambrose. The door opened and they walked in.

"Who is that man with them?" Luna asked.

"That's Ambrose. He's Blaise's brother."

"They're all very pretty." Alex laughed.

"Yeah, they are." She said. "Okay, you stick with me at all times, alright?"

"Sure."

Blaise really did look very wonderful, Draco brought him upstairs, so he could see Alex before the party.

"You know, I quite like this version of you, Weasley." He said, his eyes roaming over her figure.

"I'm sure." She rolled her eyes. "You don't look too bad yourself."

"Well," he shrugged, adjusting his coat lapels. "I do clean up good."

"Well. You clean up well." She corrected.

"You're gonna get hung up on my grammar right now?" He asked. She smiled and walked over to him.

"Guess not." She said. She raised her hands to his head and cupped his face before kissing him.

"Eurgh. You know you're not alone, right?" Draco frowned. "Can't you go back to a secret relationship?"

"Don't be bitter. Just apologise to Pansy and get back together." Alex said, turning around. Draco rolled his eyes.

"Or you can leave. That works for me." Blaise smiled.

"You two deserve each other." Draco scowled and looked at his watch. "Okay, time to go."

"Alright. I'll meet you all down there. Be nice." Alex warned Draco.

"Yeah yeah."

"I'll be down there very soon, and then you and I will be stuck together at all times, alright?" She told Luna. "Be careful."

"I'll be fine." Luna said. "I know it, so stop worrying."

"Okay, fine." Alex said and let them leave.

"What no words for me?" Blaise teased before he left.

"Well, I suppose telling you to behave wouldn't be very effective."

"I don't know. You can be quite persuasive." She shook her head fondly.

"Go. We'll see about persuading you later. I can't be late." She said and he winked once before leaving. She couldn't help the smile on her face. She allowed herself a moment to gather herself before heading over to her bed and pulling out her circlet. She put it on.

Whoever the order was sending was probably going to be under a polyjuice potion. Alex needed to know who it was.
"Okay, Doomie, you need to be hidden, but I'm going to need your power." She muttered. "When we go down, I'll need you to show me anyone who isn't themselves. Under a glamour, or polyjuice or disillusionment. Anything that makes a person something other than their natural state. Okay?" There was a slight warmth that ran through her body, meaning Doomie had understood. She looked in the mirror and watched the circlet disappear from view. She adjusted her hair and the circlet, so nothing looked weird before turning to head down.

Alex walked down the stairs, and a light shined on her. Narcissa had done a truly wonderful job. Once she reached the ground, she walked between the crowd stopping in front of her grandfather. She knelt down on one knee, a hand fisted over her chest.

"You may rise." He said and she stood to his right. He raised a hand and music began to play.

A few people began to dance and Alex took the opportunity to scan the floor. Most of the attendees were death eaters, and none of them were order members in disguise. Then she caught a glimpse of one. Yaxley. There was a haze around him and she focused before seeing her eldest brother. She refrained from smiling and instead continued to look. Bill couldn't be there alone.

She caught sight of two other order members, masquerading as death eaters before seeing Megan. "I'm going to go mingle." Alex told her grandfather before moving away from his side. She joined her friends.

"That was quite an entrance." Draco said.

"Glad I impressed you." She replied, monotonously. "My life's mission is complete."

"Dance with me." Blaise offered.

"Let's go talk to people first. Megan's here, and Pansy and Daphne."

"And Nott." Draco added and Alex grimaced.

"Why?"

"Because he's on-"

"If you say our side, I'm going to throw up."

"He is. His family has always been affiliated with ours." Draco said.

"Ew."

"Just because we don't like him, doesn't mean he doesn't have a use." Draco admonished.

A/N- Favourite line is "I just... I can't breathe." She said. "This room is too small to fit anything other than your ego."