42

When Alex finally got to Megan, she smiled.
"Hey Jones."

"Alex. How are you?" Megan asked. There was something odd about her.

"I'm fine. How are you?"

"Okay."

"Wasn't sure if you'd come, honestly."

"I was surprised to be invited."

"Well, I promised to meet you halfway, didn't I?" Megan was oddly silent for a moment.

"Right. You did."

"Okay. So, what's the word at school?"

"All good."

"That all you've got to say? What about Terry?" She teased. Megan was awfully stiff, and looked very uncomfortable to be here.

"What about him? Things are fine." Megan shrugged. Alex looked at her friend, before a light went off in her head.

"Tonks." She realised. "No polyjuice needed. Shapeshifting is natural for you."

"I- what are you talking about?"

"I know my friend. Her dealings with Terry are never fine." Alex said. "She would deflect. Turn it back on me."

"So, are you going to attack me?"

"Of course not." Alex glanced at her. "If I attack you, there are three other order members here, including my brother, who will go on the defensive and this party is filled with death eaters, not to mention you-know-who himself. Then it will all turn into an all out fight, and there are anti apparition wards within the manor so unless you can get outside, you won't be leaving. It turns into a whole thing, people will probably die. Not to mention my outfit might also get ruined, which mean Draco will kill me... it's just way too much drama." Alex shook her head.

"And you want to avoid drama?"

"Exactly. This is my birthday party. A belated party." She shrugged. "I don't want it ruined with bloodshed. I'd like to at least enjoy myself."

"Whose side are you on?" Tonks asked.

"Should you be here?" Alex asked, not answering her question. "Aren't you pregnant?"

"How do you know that?"

"Well, I kind of know a lot." Alex said.

"My mum's told me who you are." Tonks said.

"Tell her Bellatrix is as delusional as she ever was." Alex smiled. "I've got to go. I can't spend too long here without arousing suspicion."

Alex walked away, and was quickly joined by Daphne.

"I have to confess." Daphne said quickly, her eyes darting around.

"Um.. okay?" Alex asked.

"I slept with Theodore once. Well actually a couple of times."

"Theodore Nott?"

"It was a lapse in judgement. Don't judge me, I'm ashamed enough as it is."

"I'm not judging. I don't understand, but I'm not judging. I'm just trying to forget it. Why did I need to know?"

"Because he's here, and I don't trust he won't throw it back in our faces at some point."

"Right. Good idea." She nodded, before looking at her curiously. "Okay, but why? Like, why Nott?"

"I mean, he's not bad looking." Daphne said. "And he can be charming."

"Never mind. I'm going to throw up." She said.

"It was a while ago."

"That's fine. I don't need to know anything else, I promise. It doesn't change anything."

"Alright, good."

"In the spirit of divulging secrets, I should tell you I'm with Blaise now."

"You are?" Daphne asked confused.

"Yeah." Alex smiled. "Have been for months. We were keeping it a secret at first."

"Was this because of what happened when you guys came over?" Daphne asked.

"Actually, since before then."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Long story." Alex smiled at her friend before excusing herself and went to go stand with Luna and Blaise. Draco was dancing with Pansy who didn't look very thrilled.

"Okay, okay. I'm done mingling, Loon. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you for so long." Alex said.

"It's okay." Luna smiled kindly.

"So how'd Draco get Pansy to dance with him?" Alex asked.

"He just dragged her up there, and she can't really leave him without making a scene." Blaise said. Alex rolled her eyes.

"Poor Pansy, you should go rescue her."

"Can't do that." He said.

"Why not?"

"Because I can't do that to Draco. Whatever they're going through, I'm not putting myself in the middle of it. And trust me, you don't want to either. It's their business."

"What, so in Slytherin you guys actually just mind your own business? That's so bizarre." She joked.

"If we do intervene, we're careful about it." Blaise said. "Clever."

"It's not smart to call your girlfriend dumb."

"I didn't call you dumb."

"You implied it."

"That's not what I meant."

"So what did you mean?"

"There's a new song. Let's dance." Blaise offered.

"I j-" Alex started, looking at Luna.

"Go." Luna nudged her.

"See, she's going to be fine." Blaise said, taking her hand. She reluctantly let him lead her out.

"Alright, show me your moves." She said as he snaked an arm around her waist.

"Just remember you asked for it."

"Oh my god, that's so strange." Daphne joined Luna. "I mean, she said they were together but to be honest, it's weird."

"They're happy together." Luna smiled.

"Yeah." Daphne watched as Alex laughed at something Blaise said. "They are. It's still weird."

Pansy had finally managed to get away from Draco and walked over to Daphne and Luna.

"Surprised Alex hasn't punched him yet." She said, with a laugh.

"They're together." Daphne told her. Pansy scoffed. "No, really. Alex told me herself. And look at them."

Pansy looked over at the couple. "That's so weird. Did you know she liked him? Does she actually like him?"

"Who knows when it comes to Alex."

"She likes him." Luna assured. "He makes her happy."

A/N- so there's no confrontation with Bill here. But we get Alex and Tonks, so I hope that makes up for it.

Favourite line is "Tell her Bellatrix is as delusional as she ever was."