71

The portkey landed her directly before her grandfather. She landed on her feet, cautiously looking around, before looking up at her grandfather.

"I have homework." She told him.

"It can wait. Harry Potter and his friends have found a way to render me mortal."

"They what?" She asked, outraged. "They can't."

"Only one person ever knew enough to aid them." He walked to a window and she trailed after him.

"Make Snape bring me my things." She demanded.

"I was just about to suggest the same." He turned and looked at her. "You'll stay here, with Griffiths."

"Why does it sound like you're not staying here? Who knows where the anarchists are? They could strike at you from anywhere. You can't go on one of your international trips again."

"You're right, we don't know where they are. But I know where they'll be." She frowned. "They are after objects of deep significance. My lifelines." Alex pretended to think for a moment.

"You made horcruxes?" She asked and he nodded, looking proud.

"You figured it out?"

"It was on my list of your possible death evasion techniques." She said. "Wait? Do they have your horcrux?"

"They have at least one." He told her. "Another was unwittingly destroyed in your second year-"

"The diary." She cut him off.

"Yes. Another three are safe. I have one at Hogwarts." He confessed. "There are too many allies of the boy who lived at Hogwarts. If they find it, they are that much closer to my demise. Until I retrieve my others, Severus will keep a close eye on the school for me."

"Are you sure you can you trust him with it?"

"I haven't told him any details, and I'll be retrieving it myself."

"Why don't I go to Hogwarts? You collect the others or we could get them all together. I'll... protect you. It's probably a matter of time before the boy-who-lived makes his way there." She offered.

"You will stay here. It wouldn't do for you to face Granger again."

"I won't let them get away this time."

"You've already entrusted her fate to me." He put a hand on her shoulder. "You are too close, this time. Allow me to protect you."

"You're the one that might die if they succeed and Potter's got a nasty habit of not losing." She argued.

"I assure you, they won't find it. It's a trinket that's been lost for centuries." Alex  paused, her hand subconsciously moving up to her head.

"A trinket. Say, this wouldn't be in the form of a circlet would it?" She'd be surprised if Voldemort had ever stepped foot in the unicorns' treasure grove, but things did usually have a habit of coinciding frequently.

"A diadem." He corrected. She frowned, searching her memories.

"Ravenclaw's diadem?" She asked.

"How did you know?"

"I didn't. I once found a circlet." She said. "In the woods. I put it back. I thought it was a possibility. And everyone knows about Ravenclaw's diadem."

"Everyone?"

"Okay, maybe not everyone. Luna told me about it. The Ravenclaws know about it. It's a house legend or something."

"Well, it's been lost. I'll collect it and be back."

"I can-" she started, trying to persuade him otherwise.