34

Alex absolutely planned on talking to Pedro, but it was all quite nerve-racking. And then she ended up putting it off. She was currently overlooking another detention with Ginny, Ernie and Neville when the Carrow siblings came before her.

Alex was making the trio clean the entrance hall without magic, which she would admit was harsh but necessary, while she sat on the steps, flicking through a book. Alecto and Amycus stopped right in front of her. Alex looked up, bored.

"Professors."

"Miss Weasley. I wondered if you might lend us your delinquents for the day." There was a cruel look on Alecto's face, while Amycus looked as indifferent as he always did.

"Sorry, but they've got a lot of work to do. As you can see."

"Don't worry. We'll make sure they understand the severity of their actions." Alex stood up.

"Are you suggesting I'm incapable of inflicting appropriate punishment?" She asked, her voice cold and dangerous.

"Well, you're still a student. I believe this means we outrank you." Alex simply laughed in her face.

"Ginevra, I've changed my mind." She called, without looking away from the Carrow siblings. "Take MacMillan and Longbottom and you're excused from detention for the rest of today. I'll see you next week." The students didn't move. "Or if you prefer, you can finish mopping this floor until it shines and get started on the stairs too."

That seemed to do it, and Ginny and the boys left. Alex cocked her head to the side, baiting Alecto. Amycus would follow her lead.

"That was the wrong move, you insolent child."

"Let me get something straight. You don't outrank me. You are beneath me. And if you have a problem with that, I suggest you take it up with the dark lord. Or if that frightens you, you can talk to Snape. Now, next time you want something, try a please. It'll get you much further than demands." She snapped her book shut and walked away.

Ernie was in the common room when she walked in. He avoided her gaze as she walked past and she stifled a grin, heading to her room. Her three roommates were working on their homework.

"You're back early. Finish torturing your sister already?" Megan remarked.

"The Carrows interrupted. Or I should say Alecto Carrow did. She annoyed me, so I dismissed them."

"That's bold." Susan said. "She's bloody frightening."

"Yeah, well, I don't care." Alex retorted. "Megsy, what's Amycus like as a teacher. Because every time I see him, he's always quiet. Kind of like he doesn't care about a thing and just follows his sister's lead."

"Yeah, pretty sure teaching is not his calling. But that's the way he is. Silent, monotonous. Could give Snape a run for his money."

"Snape can show emotions." Alex defended.

"Yeah, to you. Either way, Amycus gets it done. He goes through the motions. It's sort of like he's under an imperius, you know?"

"Yeah, exactly."

"But he's still trying to teach us to be evil. Next week, we get to practice the crucio on students who are in trouble or detention." Alex nodded gravely. She couldn't do anything about that right now, except just hope no one had the stomach to pull off the spell.

"That's horrible."

"We'll be okay. We only have one more class before Christmas, and I don't think anyone's going to be able to conjure enough hatred for the cruciatus." Megan said.

"I hope so." Alex nodded.

"Speaking of, you sure I can't come with you for the holidays?"

"I'm sure." Alex said, stopping the conversation before it could really start.

She'd actually almost forgotten about the winter break. Now that it was so close, she figured she had to talk to Pedro. She couldn't put it off for much longer. She snuck up to the seventh floor the next day after classes, and waited for him in his quarters. He hadn't yet arrived himself, so she set up a chess game. She made her first move while she waited.

Suffice to say, he was startled by the sight of his cousin. They hadn't had any real face-to-face interaction outside of class since the summer.

"It's polite to warn someone before dropping by." He told her.

"To be fair, you didn't warn me you were going to shore up at my house, and yet last year, you randomly showed up."

"I didn't know you lived there." He defended and she smiled, standing up.

"Hi."

"Hello." He responded. "I'm going to change and then we can talk." He told her and headed into the bedroom next door.

"Sure." She called. "Where do you keep your coconut water?"

"I'm actually out at the moment." He called. "I don't know where to find it here, and I haven't been to Brazil in a while."

"That might be a sign to go back home."

"At some point, you're going to need to get it in your head that I'm not going back to Brazil. Not for a long time. Probably not even after this war's over."

"Don't get sappy on me, Peter."

"Stop that." He groaned.

"You should ask the house elves in the kitchen." Alex gave in. "They can get anything. They can serve coconut water with our next meal."

"Where is the kitchen?" He asked, coming back out in comfier clothing.

"Never mind, I'll do it." She grumbled. He took a seat opposite her, and glanced at the chess board.

"Thanks." He said, and made his first move.

A/N- Favourite line is "To be fair, you didn't warn me you were going to shore up at my house, and yet last year, you randomly showed up."