46

Now that Alex and Blaise were no longer hiding their relationship, they were a little more public with their displays of affection. Not a whole lot, but enough for people to assume the relationship.

"And you thought us no longer being a secret would be a disaster." Blaise teased as he painted her on the banks of the Black Lake.

"There's still time." She scowled.

"Stop that. You're going to ruin my work of art. And you'll get wrinkles if you keep doing that."

"To be fair, that's only if I live that long."

"Anyone ever tell you you have a very morbid sense of humour?" He asked.

"It's been mentioned."

"And does having a boyfriend factor at all into your plan to die young?"

"Right, I forgot. The answer's supposed to be yes, isn't it?"

"This is a joke, right?" Ginny had stopped in front of them. She looked at her sister. "It's bad enough that you're team evil, but the halfwit?!"

"You are the last person to be judging anyone's relationship. Besides, what's it got to do with you?" Alex didn't move from her spot, staying as still as she could.

"You are still my sister, despite how insane you're acting." Ginny said. "And Zabini of all people cannot be my brother in law." Blaise coughed a little.

"Don't worry. He won't be." Alex looked at her sister and Blaise made a small noise. Neither of them had talked about marriage, nor were they anywhere near ready to. Ginny was starting to look a little worn out. "In case you forgot, we're not actually sisters, so whatever happens between Blaise and me has absolutely nothing to do with you."

"Why are you doing this? What do you have to gain by forsaking your family?"

"I'm not." She stood up. "I'm just accepting my true family. You know, the one I was stolen from at birth."

"You weren't stolen. Your mother was trying to protect you."

"Oh please, Dumbledore manipulated her. Just like he manipulated everyone else he knew."

"You can't really believe that."

"I'm supposed to believe my mum made all these arrangements to send me off before conveniently dying in childbirth?" Alex asked. "Right."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm bored of this conversation." She turned away and sat back into the pose Blaise had arranged her in. Ginny stomped away, and Blaise let out an exaggerated breath.

"Think that might have been too harsh?"

"You have a brother you refuse to admit exists." She pointed out.

"Trust me, it goes both ways."

"Tell me about him. Why don't you two get along?"

"My mother's only ever truly loved one man in her life." Blaise said. "Ambrose's father. He thinks that somehow makes him better than me."

"She didn't love your dad?"

"After Ambrose's father died, love took on a very relative meaning." Alex looked at him from the corner of her eye. He'd stopped painting. His tone was low and solemn. "It's a long story, but my mother and her father had a disagreement. He didn't approve of Ambrose's dad, and forbade her to be with him. But she loved him too much to let him go. When my grandfather found out, he cursed her."

"That's harsh."

"Yeah. From what my mother tells me he was a harsh man." Blaise refused to meet her gaze, his usually playful expression replaced by one of helplessness. Alex walked over to him and placed her hand on his arm. Realising Blaise didn't want to talk about the subject anymore, she changed it.

"So basically, what I'm getting is Ambrose has a bit of a superiority complex?"

"Did I mention he used to be a Ravenclaw?"

"You did. Guess it's just more proof he's a knobhead." She smiled, dragging a small smile out of him. He finally moved onto his side to look at her.

"We've been together almost a year." He said.

"I know."

"But we haven't even been out on a date."

"Guess not." She agreed.

"We should go out next Hogsmeade weekend." She looked reluctant. "I'm not saying we could go to Hogsmeade. We can both apparate. I'll take you someplace."

"Okay." She agreed. It seemed to take his mind off his family and cheer him up. Besides, it didn't have to be a bad thing. It might be nice to actually spend some time with him in a social setting that wasn't school.

"Alright, great. I think the next weekend's on Valentine's Day."

"If you do something cheesy, I'll break up with you." She threatened.

"But aren't I supposed to do cheesy things? That's a relationship right?"

"A relationship is whatever you make it. Besides, we're not very typical."

"Okay, fine. So when you say no cheesiness, does that mean no flowers? No chocolates?"

"Pretty much. If we're going out to eat, what am I going to do with the flowers? And the chocolates will just spoil my appetite."

"We could ask the staff to put the flowers in some water." He offered.

"Let's just go out and enjoy ourselves. Just be you." The image of Blaise all dressed up flashed across her mind and her expression froze. "Except less fancy, please."

"I can't make that promise." He admitted.

"Blaise, I-"

"Don't worry, I'll get everything sorted. All you have to do is show up."

"You're really going all out, aren't you?"

"Yes. You said 'be you'. This is me. You should really know that if you're going to go out with me."

"Laila would love all of this." She said. "She would be ecstatic that I'm finally making what she deems good connections."

"Well, she has a point." She rolled her eyes and sat back down in her original pose.

"Just so you know, she cannot find out. I can't deal with that. She's going to gloat. So much."

"Relax, she's all the way in Egypt, isn't she? So, unless you tell her, I doubt she'll find out."

A/N- So Ginny's found out and she is not impressed.

Favourite line is "You are still my sister, despite how insane you're acting." Ginny said. "And Zabini of all people cannot be my brother in law."