43

"Before you go back to Hogwarts, you will need to truly understand what it means to be a death eater." Her grandfather said.

"Preserving blood purity to ensure muggles don't get the chance to harm our community?" She asked.

"In part."

"Know that we are better than muggles because we go back generations of power and strength?" She added.

"Yes, but also-"

"They're worth less to our world than anything? They're already destroying our planet and if we don't keep them in check, not only will they kill each other, but possibly all of us?"

"I see you already understand core values."

"You gave me this lesson years ago, grandfather."

"Very well. Next, you must understand that the order members are not your friends. They might be people you've known before, but they don't care. And they will not hesitate to hurt you for information."

"I know." She said. "They'll see this as a betrayal. Which is stupid, because if anyone's been betrayed, it's me. I've spent my entire life believing a lie. Dumbledore has manipulated my life at every turn, and my so called parents let him."

"Manipulation was always something Dumbledore was good at. I think that's why he never liked me. Because I wouldn't let it happen to me."

"I should confess something." Alex said. Voldemort looked almost concerned for a moment. "I don't use a protection spell."

"That's quite a gamble to take."

"Not really. I might as well be using a protection spell. Spells don't hurt me. I'm... sort of unaffected by them?"

"That's impossible."

"Not really." She shook her head. "It's like an immunity. It gets annoying sometimes, but it keeps me safe."

"I see, and how did you acquire this gift?"

"It was unintentional. Do you remember that unicorn you were trying to kill, back in first year?"

"There were many."

"The one I saved." She rolled her eyes.

"Ah yes."

"Well, sometimes if you save a unicorn, they can give you a gift. But only if you do it for honest, sincere reasons. It's how Dumbledore got Fawkes."

"And you got this gift of magical immunity?"

"Not all magic. I can use potions, and I can apparate and ride a broom. Technically, legilimency can be used against me, but I've got that covered. I'm confident enough with my occlumency, as you should know. It's just spells really. Any spell."

"Crucio!" His wand flicked into his hand and pointed at her, before she could blink. Nothing happened.

"That was mean." She crossed her arms

"I had to be sure." He told her.

"Well, thanks for the warning. Besides, I actually wasn't all that sure about the unforgivables. They've never been used on me, and they are stronger than normal spells." She crossed her arms.

"And now you know."

"Why is that your favourite spell? You use it more than Potter uses the disarming charm and that's saying something."

"This is a wonderful development." He told her. "Who else knows?"

"Dumbledore knew, but he's dead. Cedric knew, but he's also dead. Hermione knows, but she keeps all my secrets, and she's in hiding because you've branded her public enemy number two, which by the way- she's a real witch! We've gone over that! I've never told my siblings, but my adoptive parents know. Dumbledore saw fit to tell them whatever happened at school, which was so annoying. And I think that's it." Alex purposely omitted some details.

"And Malfoy? Zabini?"

"Nope. Well, they knew I saved a unicorn, and I developed very close bonds to the unicorn, but to be fair that's nothing new. Everyone knows that. I have massive trust issues, which is why I generally don't tell people much." Alex shrugged.

"Trust is a privilege that must be earned." He agreed, and Alex inwardly winced. If her grandfather agreed, then it was definitely not something she should be thinking.

"Okay, so history lesson complete, torture lesson complete. What else?"

"If you are administered veritaserum, you'll need to be able to resist. That can only come with practice."

"Is this just your way of getting me to ingest a truth potion?"

"You are surrounded more by enemies than you are friends at Hogwarts. You must learn to keep vigilant."

"Fine, I don't have anything to hide." She said.

"Take a break. We'll get started in an hour." He told her and she nodded.

She went to go get something to eat from the kitchens and saw Draco. She joined him at the table.

"Hey, loser." She pat his shoulder to get his attention.

"Not a loser." He muttered. "What do you want?"

"To annoy you." She teased. It was clearly the wrong thing to say as he scowled. "What's with you?"

"Am I some creepy, weird... substitute now that you don't have your siblings anymore?" He asked. "Like, are you just so used to having siblings and using me to fill some sort of vacancy in your life?"

"First of all, ouch. That's rude. Secondly, what? What is that supposed to mean? Why would you think that?"

"You're going to tell me that I'm wrong?"

"Draco, you're a very good friend of mine. You have been for years. You're not some replacement family. This is how we act. We've always annoyed each other, remember?" This didn't seem to help him much. "What's going on?"

"Look, I'm not an idiot. I know even if you are totally loyal to our side, you can't just cut ties with your family like that. If they needed you, you'd be there in a heartbeat." She frowned. "Which is all well and good, but I don't want to be some second rate surrogate sibling."

"Draco, are you jealous?" Alex asked, a smile creeping across her face.

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Oh, you are!" She smiled. "Okay, listen, because I'm not going to say this again. Things with my siblings are complicated. Absolutely. But I'm not with them. I left them. I've renounced them. I'm choosing my grandfather. And as for you, you are very dear to my heart. You aren't some replacement brother. I have come to realise, at Hogwarts, there are people who I've come to see as family to me. You are one of them. You are a brother, not a replacement one. Just like Luna's a sister. And Laila. And my bond to you guys is just as legitimate, if not more so, as my bond to the Weasleys. They aren't even related to me and I didn't choose them. You guys, I chose."

"Oh.. okay." She blinked.

"Really? That's all you're going to say? Okay? That was a nice speech and it deserves more."

"Well, kind of think of you as family too. Whatever." He mumbled.

"Boys." She rolled her eyes.

A/N- Favourite line is "Why is that your favourite spell? You use it more than Potter uses the disarming charm and that's saying something."