55

Laila knocked her door a little while later.
"Idris and Bill've gone out. Don't think they'll come back in time for dinner tonight. Alia's at work, so it's just you and me at home."

"You can come in." Alex said, as the Slytherin stood by the door.

"How's Saph doing?"

"She's okay. She keeps pestering me to introduce Blaise to her."

"He hasn't met her?"

"He doesn't know about her."

"Why not?" Laila frowned.

"I want to keep her safe."

"You know I care about you, right? I care what happens to you."

"I know."

"So, what's with the whole joining the dark side thing?"

"He's my grandfather."

"Who?"

"Dark lord." She said. "My biological granddad."

"I'm missing a lot."

"I'm technically kind of adopted. My biological mum was the dark lord's daughter." Alex confessed.

"Does this have anything to do with when you were taken as a kid?"

"Well, sort of... maybe."

"Have you spoken to your healer?"

"Have you?" Alex shot back.

"I write to her once a week. I don't really need the face to face sessions anymore. And I don't even live in England anymore, so it's easier like this anyway." Laila said. "Are you avoiding your healer?"

"No. But, I have told her a lot of things and if my grandfather ever finds out I was seeing a mind healer, he'll track her down and probably find a way to extract any information from her. So for now I can't see her or talk to her."

"One step forward, two steps back?" Laila asked.

"Feels like it sometimes."

"Why are you doing this?" Laila asked and then paused to amend her statement. "If you're okay with answering. Feel free to tell me to go kiss a troll."

"I have to."

"No, you don't." Laila said. "Whoever told you that you do is wrong."

"It's not like what happened to you."

"Trauma is trauma. What I went through was really messed up. But so was what you did. And neither of us owes it to anyone to have to see the architects of our nightmares."

"Okay, spill. What's going on? What happened?"

"He escaped with one of the mass death eater breakouts." She said.

"Give me a name and I'll throw him back in there myself." Alex glared fiercely. "And I can actually do that now without even lifting a finger."

"Alex-"

"I won't let him hurt you. Or let him find any opportunity to." She said.

"Apply the same logic to yourself." Laila scolded. "I don't know what you're doing. I don't know anything that's going on, but I am worried. And I'm pretty sure your brother is too."

"I'm okay right now. I'm not hurt. I'm fine."

"What does Snape think about you ditching your healer?"

"I'm not ditching my healer." Alex rolled her eyes. "And it's complicated. He's on my side. It's too dangerous."

"Bet you he doesn't like the idea of you torturing yourself by going through all this."

"I don't think I like this healthy, happy-ish version of you." Alex scowled.

"If you saw your healer regularly and consistently, you'd be healthy and happy-ish too."

"You don't see yours either." Laila didn't look amused. "Fine. Maybe one day."

"Okay, fine. I won't push anymore." Laila said. "But, if you need anything- a chat or whatever, I got you Weasley."

"Back at you, Shafiq." Alex smiled back at her. "There is one thing I need."

"Yeah?"

"A name. I don't care, he doesn't get to stay out of Azkaban. I won't reveal my reasons to anyone, but I won't let him roam free."

"Fine."

Alex and Laila had some fun for the rest of the week. She avoided her brother as best as she could and let her friend show her around.

As the date of her return grew close, Alex got ready to return to England. She and Snape were discussing the plans they'd come up with the plane, when she got a message from Hermione through her coin. The message written was just one word. Caught.

She turned to her uncle. "When we get to the manor, you have to leave right away. Do not stay past escorting me to the door."

He looked at the coin she held in her hand. "What happened?"

"Hermione and the idiot duo got caught." Alex said. "They'll probably be at the manor. That's where we keep our prisoners. They'll also probably be left unharmed for grandfather to do as he pleases with them. He's in Austria. Assuming he leaves the moment he's summoned, he'll still beat us by two hours. But, knowing him, he won't leave Austria until he finds what he's looking for, so it's doubtful he'll leave straight away."

"What's your plan?"

"One thing can get them past the anti apparition wards." She said. "A house elf. Potter's got two in his pocket. I can go visit Luna and get a message to him."

"Your grandfather will be suspicious as to why you won't take Lovegood out the moment you reach the manor."

"I have business." She said. "Wyttle managed to escape Azkaban along with some of the death eaters. I plan to return him where he belongs."

"Very well."

"So you'll immediately return to Hogwarts?" She asked and he nodded.

"If you're sure you can handle it."

"Promise." She said, and put away her coin. She couldn't send a message back to Hermione anyways. She couldn't risk Bellatrix figuring anything out.

A/N- So, the golden trio do get caught. Ngl, Harry was such an idiot in the book scene. And, I know he didn't mean it and stuff but it's not like he didn't know there was a jinx on Voldy's name. It's actually kind of his fault they got taken. And that Hermione got tortured, and that Ginny and the rest of the Weasleys had to go in hiding because everyone knows Ron doesn't actually have splattergroit.

Anyways, Hermione's definitely going to omit the bit about Harry saying the jinxed name when telling Alex everything cos she knows Alex will genuinely murder Harry. Also, idk about y'all but I love Laila and Alex 🥺

Favourite line is "Give me a name and I'll throw him back in there myself." Alex glared fiercely. "And I can actually do that now without even lifting a finger."