65

Alex made her way back to Pedro's room that evening. He was inside this time.

"How are you?" He asked.

"Turns out, my wonderful grandfather blackmailed Blaise into breaking up with me." She said, sarcasm dripping from her as she referred to Voldemort.

"Zabini told you this?"

"No. I overheard him and Draco talking. They don't know I know, and it's all really complicated and I don't really want to talk about it."

"Okay." He said. "Chess?"

"I want to show you something important." She said. "Meet me at the edge of the forest."

"I'm not falling for that again."

"I only left you in there once." She argued. "It's real this time."

"Are we going to run from centaurs again?"

"Pedro!" She groaned.

"Okay I'll meet you there. But if you leave me there, I'm changing the password to my room and next time you have boyfriend troubles you can go crying to someone else."

"Harsh."

"I was lost for over an hour!"

"You partnered me with Nott. You should've seen it coming."

"I told you you have to learn to set aside your difference in class. You should know this!"

"I was perfectly content with ignoring him. We would have been civil enough." She said with a glare. "And anyways the point is, I am being sincere. Trust me, you'll wanna see this. And I think your grandfather would have wanted you to as well."

"How would you know? You didn't even know him."

"From what you told me, I'm pretty sure he'd have been mad at you for passing on this opportunity."

"Fine. But if it's a prank, I'm partnering you with Nott for the rest of the year." He grumbled. She shook her head but nodded and slipped out of the room.

She waited at the edge of the forest, and Pedro arrived five minutes later, a disillusionment spell wrapped around him.

"Okay, where are we going?" He asked. She started walking and he followed.

"It's a surprise." She said. "Just follow me. It's a bit of a walk."

"It's not that I don't trust you, but I really don't trust you."

"I'm about to show you what means the most to me in this entire world and you're making jokes?" She said. "Not really the time, Peter."

"You know, you used to call me that when you wanted to annoy me. But now you use it when you're a little annoyed." He pointed out.

"Fascinating." She said with a roll of her eyes.

"I think so."

"So, why don't you use your powers of observation and learn your way around the forest? So you can gather your own potion ingredients instead of depending on me all the time?"

"Then how else could I annoy you? Besides, I give you an excuse to spend more time out here."

"I don't need an excuse. Ask anyone. I will go into the forest whenever I please. I have spent more time in here than I probably have in the castle outside of my classes."

"Why are you so obsessed with it?" He asked.

"You'll see." She said, mysteriously and led the rest of the way in silence. She stopped at Saph's clearing first. The old dragon didn't move in surprise, rather lounging tiredly.

"Alejandra." He grabbed her arm, stopping her before they could get too close to the sleeping dragon. "Don't move."

She bit back a smile.

"I'm serious. That's a dragon." He said. "They're dangerous. I mean, she's beautiful but dangerous."

"Stop it Saph." Alex said, in answer to her dragon's delight. "He's not complimenting you."

"Who- who are you talking to?" Pedro asked and she smiled.

"Remember that legend I told you about? The dragon chained in the forest?"

"Yeah, I believed you for a moment but then I thought you were lying."

"I didn't lie. Kind of. It's a long story, but in my third year, I found a dragon. She was chained deep in the forest. I waited till the summer to let her free, because she'd been chained up for at least some centuries. Until then, though, I visited her. Fed her, spent time with her. We have a psychic bond. And then, at the beginning of summer when all students had left Hogwarts, my brother Charlie came to take her away to his reserve. I wrote to him and told Dumbledore. Anyways, she stayed there for a while."

Then I got sick. Saphira offered.

"He can't hear you, Saph." She said, but nodded. "Then she got sick. Saph and I have this soul bond thing because she's an Earth dragon. It means we can communicate telepathically, draw upon each other's strength, et cetera. But if we're away from each other for too long, she gets sick, as we found out a few years ago."

"You found an Earth dragon in the forest? And you can talk to her?"

"That's exactly what I said."

"So every time I get chased out of the forests."

"She's a great pranking buddy."

"I'm failing you this year. I'm giving you a troll."

"You're not part of the examination process. The ministry is. And my grandfather will never let me fail."

"I mark your coursework."

"If you keep being mean, I won't show you anything else. There's still more."

"More than an extinct dragon species?"

"You know about earth dragons?"

"Granddad was a magizoologist, remember? Every magizoologist has a dream. Mostly they're unattainable, but it influences how they approach the job. My grandfather's was finding an Earth dragon egg. He believed the key to forming a bond with one was eye contact the moment they hatched. Some sort of..."

"Imprinting?" She asked and he nodded. "Well, she's met people before me. She's centuries old."

A/N- Please ignore any mistakes, I'm literally half asleep right now.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.

Favourite line is "It's not that I don't trust you, but I really don't trust you."